This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you play an 'Unreal Engine' game

#1Auction SniperPosted 7/18/2014 3:41:32 PM
Every time I play a Unreal game like Mortal Kombat or Killer is Dead, it just reminds me of this screenshot from the early Unreal development (back when the game was supposed to be more Quake-like).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/pagise/unreal/alpha_beta2/USHOT11.gif

It's just plain weird to me that an engine designed for a first person shooter is used for 2D fighters and third person games.
---
"Sleep is for babies, gamers play all night!" - Thomas Falsetta
#2shmirlywhirlPosted 7/18/2014 3:44:03 PM
My first thought is "the developer doesn't have to pay anything until their game sells $50,000. After that (whoever developed the engine, I can't remember) starts taking a cut."
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#3Pepys MonsterPosted 7/18/2014 4:40:58 PM
I think of Gears of War and the Berserker bodies that ragdoll all over the place.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#4RaikouenPosted 7/18/2014 4:44:40 PM
Auction Sniper posted...

It's just plain weird to me that an engine designed for a first person shooter is used for 2D fighters and third person games.

Similar to how the Frostbite engine is now used in racing games and RPG's?
#5Hicks233Posted 7/18/2014 4:51:12 PM
Feels good. There's something chunky, solid and satisfying with UE2 & 3. UE1 was more about speed and scale for me.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#6SythisTaruPosted 7/18/2014 5:03:17 PM
I love Unreal Engine. Dishonored (which is Unreal 3) is probably the smoothest/best feeling game (controls wise) I have ever played. Other games feel so clunky after playing it.
#7Garage_ManPosted 7/18/2014 5:14:43 PM
Man this game is good or bad. I got to play more or less of this! Oh game engine...yea who cares.

Sorry but if you knew ANYTHING about a game engine you'd know that you can make them do amazing things or not so amazing things.

Just because Andengine 2D was designed for simplistic games doesn't mean I didn't push complex physics detection and realtime physics bullets with hundreds of crappily annimated 2d zombies reacting to physics detection and all that nonsense. Racing cars....I made that engine do things 2 years ago that people are STILL having trouble doing.

It's all about the developer, not the engine and what it was designed for.
#8Garage_ManPosted 7/18/2014 5:16:34 PM
To be serious though in a technical way I go...wow this is smooth. Unreal does deliver a fair amount. Id personally love to switch to it...right now I'm stuck on unity and I hate the workflow. Worst thing I've ever used!
#9codyorrPosted 7/18/2014 5:18:53 PM
Don't. That's it. I just don't play those games.
#10AcquirePosted 7/18/2014 5:19:23 PM
For Unreal 3, bad explosion effects and a chunky graphical style. Don't know if that's the right word, but all unreal 3 games (that don't try to render in cell shaded or something) have a very similar look. Unreal 4 looks amazing though.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.