This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The bad luck continues.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The bad luck continues.
1 year ago#1
I bought a 4670k and an MSI z87 motherboard. It wouldn't boot, wouldn't show anything, wouldn't beep, nothing. Some numbers on the board would flash around randomly, but no matter what, I couldn't get it to work.

So I RMA it and got a Gigabyte. Gigabyte has been good to me in the past. Everything boots up fine, but I have a HELLUVA time trying to even get the memory timings set correctly with the system giving me stupid issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQkGxRFrt2U

You can hear the sound, along with poor, choppy, clunky performance and the occassional freeze or even display driver has stopped errors. These issues would only happen if I changed ANY setting in the bios manually. Gigabyte has been a bunch of jerks about replacing the board.

So I just now received an Asus Z97 board. I install everything, press the power, and get fans spinning, power, etc. nothing else though. No screen, no mouse or keyboard functionality, no beeps...okay, so I remove parts one by one and find that it won't boot up with a chip in the second memory slot...B1.

Are you freaking kidding me!!??

However, with one memory chip, it boots and appears to be running everything just fine. The memory timings are auto set correctly. I'm even playing with an overclock and it seems solid so far.

So, out of 3 motherboards with this latest system, 3 of them have been defective, all from different manufacturers. What the eff is happening to me? By the way, I'm not a new PC building. This is probably my 15-20th system build (maybe more) over the past, oh 20+ years probably.

Unbelievable. I've never had such bad luck. Anyone seen a computer fly before? I'm about ready to witness my first. I guess this is one very big reason why you don't want to build your own system. Goodness me.

Now I just have to hope Gigabyte will see this as evidence and give me a new board...those scum. I've lost faith in Gigabyte now. It's one thing to get defective products. It's another to doubt the customer. The customer is always right.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
1 year ago#2
I assume you tried switching out the memory modules as well before determining that the slot was bad?

Where do you buy from? I tend to stick to local shops for that sort of reason. I know it costs a bit more to buy local but getting a replacement item is so much easier and usually a lot faster as well.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
1 year ago#3
Yes, I tried different chips.

Guess I should have bought from Bestbuy seeing as how they price match and all. It's about a 15 miles drive though, so with ware and tear and gas, that's another $5+ on the price...I like to save what I can, even if it's the driving time.

I guess I gotta try for number 4.
---
1 year ago#4
" For safety reasons, items that are classified as hazardous materials or use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned to Amazon.com. Customers should dispose of hazardous materials according to Local, State and Federal regulations. Customers should contact their local government or local waste company for directions on how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste."

This happens when I try to return the item. It's a freaking motherboard!! Not some kind of dangerous...what the eff is happening!? They won't return it for me. Bought it from Amazon. This is just getting nuts.
---
1 year ago#5
Boge posted...
" For safety reasons, items that are classified as hazardous materials or use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned to Amazon.com. Customers should dispose of hazardous materials according to Local, State and Federal regulations. Customers should contact their local government or local waste company for directions on how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste."

This happens when I try to return the item. It's a freaking motherboard!! Not some kind of dangerous...what the eff is happening!? They won't return it for me. Bought it from Amazon. This is just getting nuts.

Wow that sucks, man.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
1 year ago#6
This is why I buy locally, easier to exchange defective or non-working parts. Hopefully everything works out for you in the end!
---
4930k || X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || 16GB RAM || 240GB SSD || 2x180GB SSD (RAID0) || 4TB SSHD || 1200w PSU
1 year ago#7
I've bought 20+ motherboards easily in my lifetime and never once had a defective one. I'm not saying there is no such thing, but having 3 in a row from different reputable manufacturers is just not possible. You're doing something wrong or you have some other failed component in common with each build (likely a bad stick of RAM).
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
1 year ago#8
zerodefect posted...
I've bought 20+ motherboards easily in my lifetime and never once had a defective one. I'm not saying there is no such thing, but having 3 in a row from different reputable manufacturers is just not possible. You're doing something wrong or you have some other failed component in common with each build (likely a bad stick of RAM).

This is also my first experience with bad motherboards, and yes, I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. However, I have 6x4gb sticks of memory to troubleshoot with. The memory has not been the issue. I also have 2 other computers I can (and have) tried those parts in this system. The only thing common in this system situation is the CPU. I haven't been able to try a different CPU since it's the only 1150 one I have. As others have said, it's most likely the motherboard instead of the CPU.

The current board I just bought was more of a test whether it's the CPU or the motherboard that was giving me the issues shown in the video. As I said, it appears the CPU is working fine. The computer is working fine with just 1 memory chip in it. If I plug in the other memory chip into the correct slot, the system stays black. I really don't think that means anything else but that the memory slot is bad. It doesn't matter which chip is in there, it won't work.

The MSI board, I don't know how else you troubleshoot that other than try a different motherboard, which I did with the Gigabyte.

Again, in my 20+ years of building machines, I've never had a bad board until now. Chances are slim of 3 bad boards, but I can't see anything I'm doing wrong.
---
1 year ago#9
That is odd. The chances that 3 boards would all have a faulty slot is pretty low. You've been doing this 20+ years, so chances are you know what you're doing. Have you tried putting the memory in other slots than they one they say (I'm assuming you are trying to get them dual channel)? It is the only thing I can think of.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
1 year ago#10
Ruled out everything but the CPU... Makes you wonder huh?

It's either user error or the CPU or another problem, an 3 bad MB's is more unlikely than a bad cpu.
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The bad luck continues.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived