This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever feel sympathy to developers when great games becomes dirt cheap?

#1Jeffw88Posted 7/18/2014 9:12:33 PM
Especially when there are price cut only few weeks after the release, - Results (259 votes)
Hell no. I don't have any sympathy for developers at all. I'll buy when games are cheapest.
26.64% (69 votes)
Not really. The developers already make tons of money already..right?
16.22% (42 votes)
Meh, don't care. I buy games when I want it.
32.43% (84 votes)
Somewhat.. I do like to support the developers but only by moderate amount.
14.67% (38 votes)
Yes I do. It pains for me to see such great games for fraction of the cost when they're worth lot more.
4.25% (11 votes)
Other
5.79% (15 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just wondering.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/18/2014 9:17:39 PM
If its a dev I think deserves it (ie non giant publisher games), I tend to buy near full price. Games I have only a little interest in or are yearly franchises, I tend to not care so much.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3Digital StormPosted 7/18/2014 9:20:54 PM
I buy games when I fancy them, be it a day one purchase or a year later when it's on sale. It just depends on how much I desire to play that game and if something else is eating up my time. Most of my purchases are impulse though.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#4happyscrub1Posted 7/18/2014 9:23:03 PM
Don't care. They made the decision to do so.
---
Combo breaker!!!!!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/14385270766/
#5auginistePosted 7/18/2014 9:26:16 PM(edited)
EDIT: nevermind. i thought this was the android board.
---
alien-baiting. ~ catch and release.
http://backloggery.com/auginiste
#6CatToyPosted 7/18/2014 9:26:52 PM
I don't think anyone sets out to make a bad game. But there are some developers (I'm looking at you Arcen) who try hard but just don't seem to understand what made their game fun in the first place, and then squander their effort.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#7cody4783Posted 7/18/2014 9:38:07 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
If its a dev I think deserves it (ie non giant publisher games), I tend to buy near full price. Games I have only a little interest in or are yearly franchises, I tend to not care so much.

Pretty much that. Devs I respect and deserve support when they release a new game for $20, by all means I'll pick it up at release and show the support.

Anything else, well, honestly, in the case of something like Steam, and I believe Bundle sites are the same way, the developer/publisher has full involvement in setting the price, putting their game(s) on sale, or choosing to include them in a bundle. As such, no, I don't really feel "Bad" that they chose to discount their game, and likely make more money than they were making at that point in time off the product.

When an excellent game goes up on a sale for $10 or less, then in a way, it's actually positive that it's getting more exposure and touching out to audiences who may never have tried it at full price. And at the same time, it's opening up potential, full-price paying customers for future endeavors.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#8jake-sfPosted 7/18/2014 9:40:06 PM
Should I feel anything for people who don't do their jobs properly?

The number of bad developers over the good ones is staggering. Even considering a willingness to sell out to the lowest common denominator, so many of them are ridiculously stupid in the way they handle their games, and most deserve their fate, these days.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#9YoungAdultLinkPosted 7/18/2014 9:43:34 PM
If I really want a game, I go out and buy it. If it's not something I know I'll sit down and play through and really invest myself into, I'll wait. I was willing to put down the cash for Borderlands 2 and I put 120 hours into it in the first 2 months, because it was a lot of fun. Civ V, on the other hand, probably worth the $10 I put down for gold edition, plus a friend gifting me Brave New World for my birthday.

Then there's Activision, pushing decade old games for $20 and occasionally dropping them to $5. Hell, 3/4 of the CoD4 discounts are actually from its Mac publisher, who take advantage of the fact that it's become a Steam Play game since they signed their contract.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#10kobalobasileusPosted 7/18/2014 10:50:45 PM
If the games eventually become cheap, that is their "true" price. Launch prices are just a massive markup to punish early adopters and those without patience.