This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What can you do with an Associates Degree in Computer Science?

#31DC07301981Posted 7/19/2014 4:15:23 PM
If I had to go back to school I would absolutely not settle for anything less than a Bachelors Degree. The Bachelors Degree is the new high school diploma. Nobody I knew from my previous job had anything less than a Bachelors Degree, and about half had a Masters Degree.

When I graduated college almost a decade ago, probably half my co-workers had just an Associates Degree. Most people went back to school and furthered their education. It's really changed a lot over the years.
#32Fear The ClownPosted 7/20/2014 11:11:06 AM
OP the biggest things you should take out of this whole topic is finish getting your bachelor's and ignore the naysayers that might sway you into thinking it's not as valuable as you might envision. I made that mistake myself when I first pursued my MIS degree falling into the trap of thinking the IT field was oversaturated and I wouldn't be able to find a job which contributed to me not finishing my degree and going into restaurant management. This was a terrible mistake and I'm back 6 years later finishing my degree and finding out as someone else said that if you work hard SOMETHING will work out for you.

Through multiple extended bouts of unemployment over the last 15 months thanks to my refusal to do anything besides IT I've found myself making what I expected to make after I finish degree in may right now. I will say that to get here it took me swallowing some pride and doing some IT work for experience somewhere I thought I was too good for which was Geek Squad. That opened the door to my next job which then gave me the experience and skills to land the job I have now.

You might wonder why I'm continuing my degree since I'm going to have to work 40 hours a week and take 15 hours a semester the next 2 semesters and it's because the experience in IT is what will get you through the door but it's the degree that will let you in the elevator.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#33chandl34Posted 7/20/2014 11:22:42 AM(edited)
You don't even need a degree, if you're good. You would need some work samples to get an interview though.

I wouldn't want to work for a company that requires a BS minimum; their hiring managers have their heads in the wrong place. Hell, I interviewed with one company that required my SAT score, when I was in my late 20s. They also required me to take some idiotic mental aptitude test, with questions you'd ask a 3rd grader. Trust me, you don't want to be in the same room with someone dumb enough to give an engineer that kind of requirement, much less work for them. Walmart doesn't even pull that kind of crap.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#34ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 11:23:02 AM
Edavy89 posted...
Become a trucker! national deficit of 230,000 drivers, starting salaries between 40-50k, and you can start and finish school in 4 weeks.

the pay is good, but the job is one of the worst, you're sitting driving for most of the day, and get very little sleep, and the sleep you do get is usually inside a cramped ass room in the truck, with no heating/cooling. And a lot of time you won't even be home because you are driving cross country all the time. And nobody else driving on the road treats truckers with respect.

I hear the pay can get up to over $100k, though.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avadon 2: The Corruption http://www.gog.com/game/avadon_2_the_corruption
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/bRprvvKn
#35cancerstormPosted 7/20/2014 11:29:33 AM
Wyand_Voidbring posted...
Computer Science degrees are largely useless.
Many software places take you on your skill at coding, rather than what kind of education you have.

what the hell garbage computer science program has little to no coding? what in the literal f***?

there is no way you can graduate from any decent computer science program and not have a good understanding of c + <your favorite OOP language>
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#36chandl34Posted 7/20/2014 11:34:35 AM(edited)
cancerstorm posted...
Wyand_Voidbring posted...
Computer Science degrees are largely useless.
Many software places take you on your skill at coding, rather than what kind of education you have.

what the hell garbage computer science program has little to no coding? what in the literal f***?

there is no way you can graduate from any decent computer science program and not have a good understanding of c + <your favorite OOP language>

I had this conversation with one of my old bosses: we both agreed that about 50% of CS student cheat their way though school and have no interest in being developers. So, they make it through school, and still can't do stuff from 101. Interview with some recent college grads, and see how frequently they sound competent.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#37SenkoyPosted 7/20/2014 11:39:39 AM
So much terrible advice in this thread. I can't believe people are saying companies will hire you based on your skill, not your degree. L-M-A-O! Holy s***, wtf are you people talking about? You can be the most skilled programmer that ever walked the earth, and most companies won't give a s*** if you don't have a Bachelors. You need that degree. It's stupid, but that's how it is. When I had my associates, I couldn't even get people to look at my resume. When I got my Bachelors, I got hired right out of college with no experience.

And I hardly knew anything more that was useful with my Bachelors. If anything, I was probably more skilled before getting my Bachelors because I was younger, but companies aren't going to bother with you when there are plenty of candidates with the degree.

Skill matters too. You need both the degree, AND skill. You're not getting a job without both of those things.

tldr: Get a bachelors. An Associates will get you nothing.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#38drinkPosted 7/20/2014 11:46:55 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Geek Squad member at Best Buy.

You only need A+ and some experience.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#39Edavy89Posted 7/20/2014 11:47:08 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Become a trucker! national deficit of 230,000 drivers, starting salaries between 40-50k, and you can start and finish school in 4 weeks.

the pay is good, but the job is one of the worst, you're sitting driving for most of the day, and get very little sleep, and the sleep you do get is usually inside a cramped ass room in the truck, with no heating/cooling. And a lot of time you won't even be home because you are driving cross country all the time. And nobody else driving on the road treats truckers with respect.

I hear the pay can get up to over $100k, though.

Honestly I love my job. I don't make anywhere near 100k, i tend to gross somewhere between 42-53k, however I'm home *almost* every day. I usually start my pre-trip check at about 4:30am, get on the road around 5, and i'm usually home around 2 in the afternoon.

Granted, it's nothing i'm at all passionate about, but the pay is good, and I like driving. I pretty much get to listen to music all day, and big rig's are about the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. It's definitely not for everyone though. And yeah, if you wanna make the big big bucks as a trucker you won't be home more than 5-6 days a month, I'm perfectly content in the mid 40's range though, and that's fairly easy to accomplish even if you stay semi-local.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#40Fear The ClownPosted 7/20/2014 2:49:24 PM
drink posted...
Monkeymage posted...
Geek Squad member at Best Buy.

You only need A+ and some experience.

Are you saying you need that to get on at Geek Squad? I got hired on there as an 'Advanced Repair Agent' and my only IT experience was the 2 weeks I was with Chesapeake Energy as a 'PC Mover'(yes literally I did only exactly what that sounds like) and my partially completed MIS degree. 95% of what you do there is automated malware removal. They don't really give you enough time to invest in really digging into issues and resolving them, the culture was pretty much if you have to spend more than an hour figuring out an issue they wanted you to call the customer and recommend a fresh OS install rather than actually researching the issue and finding a resolution.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3