This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best & Worst Antivirus

#11Orestes417Posted 7/19/2014 7:54:11 PM
and "worst" is still quite adequate for users with sensible habits. I'd take MSE over quite a few of the more obnoxious "better" packages out there due to it's lack of intrusiveness.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#12chase1234lifePosted 7/19/2014 8:23:04 PM
lol Panda Security.

I will never, EVER be found using Panda Security.

If you must ask why; back when I was in High School, myself and a couple of friends were in Tech Club (yes, we had one way back in 2004). We only did two things: LAN Parties, and unpaid IT work. Well; our school system had Panda Security installed, and included a firewall against certain websites like Myspace and Youtube (last year of High School).

So we looked at how it worked, and found that if the system so much as found a "possible threat" is was designed to immediately delete it. So, to test it out to see if it could find a simple worm, we designed one in the vein of "ethical hacking" that did nothing other than replicate itself when quarantined. We did just a small bit of code that made it obvious that "THIS IS A WORM" to the Anti-Virus program, and nothing more outside of self-replication.

Well, I don't know who to blame for what then happened. It may have been our fault for making the worm too simple, to the point where it could replicate itself into ANY file, the fact that Panda was Over-Killing threats, or the fact that in our school district was stupid enough to connect ALL computers to the same server and had no sort of security for any of the computers to block connections from to another (Simply put, I could get onto a Computer in my English Class at High School, Navigate through Home Groups, all the way to the server, to a local elementary school, and directly access the 2nd Grade Math Teacher's complete computer, and the same with any computer connected to the intranet system).

So, we initialized the Worm on a computer in one of our computer labs after school, expecting to see Panda pop-up warning about the worm and deleting it... That didn't happen... instead, we watched as systematically icons started disappearing from the desktop... and then system files... and soon the computer flat out crashed.

OK, we killed a computer... not a huge deal, re-install Windows, re-connect, nothing important was saved on it anyways...

So, we went home, and came back the next day... Well... the Worm had spread to the server and therefor every computer on the system (basically, every computer in our school district). Some had already crashed, some were in the process thereof, and some were lucky enough they weren't connected. We literally took down every computer in our district.

We had no computers for the last semester, and were un-able to get transcripts for College even...

It was a mess.

Anyways; just a message to ethical hackers: Know the system your hacking before doing so. You could send your whole school district back to 1965.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#13KingKoboPosted 7/19/2014 8:27:46 PM
Loserman15 posted...
No anti-virus. In a non-enterprise environment, just use adblock plus and your brain.

This.

I've never used in Anti-virus program in my life and my younger brother who's practically computer illiterate and views many "questionable" websites doesn't use one either. Both of us have never gotten a virus. Worst thing is some adware that Malwarebytes removes in 5 minutes.
#14NingishzidaPosted 7/19/2014 9:11:39 PM
^ That you know of.
#15GarquillPosted 7/19/2014 9:50:05 PM
"never gotten a virus!"
not all viruses present themselves to you, you wouldn't know
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#16mikewu1Posted 7/19/2014 10:36:42 PM
qihoo 360 is good