This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amd or Nvidia? Which company has the best graphics cards for gaming?

#1ghstbstrPosted 7/19/2014 12:18:11 PM
Amd or Nvidia? Which company has the best graphics cards for gaming? - Results (248 votes)
Amd.
27.82% (69 votes)
Nvidia.
72.18% (179 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I am thinking about getting a new graphics card and over the years I have used both companies for my gaming graphics needs, but I can't decide on which is better over the other.
I play alot of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and over the years neither company has done well with those games, and I know that it is the way the game is made but there has to be a card that can run those games with high fps and can be played at the highest level of graphic quality possible.
So I am asking everyone the question... Which company has the best graphics cards for gaming? Amd or Nvidia?
---
---
Xbox360/One + PS3/4 + Wii U + PC = Awesomeness!!!
#2Freedan12Posted 7/19/2014 12:21:14 PM
Looks like Fanboy bait.
#3ghstbstr(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 12:26:51 PM
Freedan12 posted...
Looks like Fanboy bait.

What do you mean by that?
If it is about my post then I ask why? I am asking an actual question, because no matter how new or upgraded my system is I have trouble running those games. I also want the best possible graphics card for gaming that I can get.
---
Xbox360/One + PS3/4 + Wii U + PC = Awesomeness!!!
#4GTRagnarokPosted 7/19/2014 12:32:04 PM
Pure performance is about even, but Nvidia is more efficient. They consume less power.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. Wow.
#5TheMoonJumperPosted 7/19/2014 12:32:21 PM
Freedan12 posted...
Looks like Fanboy bait.

Looks like another kid who can't afford Nvidia.
---
i5 4670K - MSI Z87 G45 - MSI GTX 770 2GB - 8GB Corsair Vengeance - Intel 520 128GB Cherryville SSD - 2TB Seagate HDD - H100i - 750w 80+ Gold
#6TehPwnzererPosted 7/19/2014 12:34:16 PM
ghstbstr posted...
Freedan12 posted...
Looks like Fanboy bait.

If it is about my post then I ask why? I am asking an actual question, because no matter how new or upgraded my system is I have trouble running those games. I also want the best possible graphics card for gaming that I can get.

Legitimate as it may be, this is the kind of thing that is going to rile up neckbeards that are devoted to one company over the other just like the Sony and Microsoft fanboys.

Anyway, there's no real true answer to this question, it depends on you values. Nvidia supports their cards longer and they run quieter/cooler. AMD cards run hotter, make more noise, and use more power.

AMD however also provides much better performance for less cost than an Nvidia card does.

If you want bang for your buck, you go with AMD. If you're not a frequent upgrader, go Nvidia.
#7MarikhenPosted 7/19/2014 12:41:34 PM
Not only that driver support really does factor into which card is better, and nVidia's driver support has slipped somewhat over the last couple of years whereas AMD's has gotten better. Not to mention On top of that you have AMD's Mantle potentially offering superior performance in many games and nVidia's PhysX providing hardware accelerated physics effects in others.

Really it boils down to "best for this" or "best with that," not "best ever." :-/

That said, my personal preference is for AMD GPUs to do the primary rendering and a cheap nVidia card to act as a PPU. I doubt we'll ever see one, but if some developer ever shoves out a game that supports Mantle and hardware accelerated PhysX I'll be ready for it!
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#832x2zPosted 7/19/2014 12:48:11 PM
Price/performance ratio usually goes to AMD in most cases. It's all about budget though and how much you have to spend.
---
APEVIA X-Hermes--CORSAIR H75--G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB-- ADATA SSD 128GB--AMD FX 8320 Black Edition @ 4.1ghz--Powercolor 2GB 7850 @ 1050/1450--Asus Xonar DGX.
#9codyorrPosted 7/19/2014 1:05:08 PM
Freedan12 posted...
Looks like Fanboy bait.
#10TimePharaohPosted 7/19/2014 1:16:17 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
ghstbstr posted...
Freedan12 posted...
Looks like Fanboy bait.

Legitimate as it may be, this is the kind of thing that is going to rile up neckbeards that are devoted to one company over the other just like the Sony and Microsoft fanboys.

Anyway, there's no real true answer to this question, it depends on you values. Nvidia supports their cards longer and they run quieter/cooler. AMD cards run hotter, make more noise, and use more power.

AMD however also provides much better performance for less cost than an Nvidia card does.

If you want bang for your buck, you go with AMD. If you're not a frequent upgrader, go Nvidia.

Except there is a clear winner. Nvidia has the best cards. Period. Notice how anyone saying AMD is saying it based on cost? That's irrelevant to what's the BEST at something.

"What's the best album of all time?"
"Well this one is only 70 cents on iTunes, so that one"

Does that make sense? It's factually impossible to argue that AMDs top card is better than Nvidias. You can't do it. Thus, Nvidia has the best. Period, irrespective of poor people using AMD.