This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amd or Nvidia? Which company has the best graphics cards for gaming?

#31Perfect LightPosted 7/19/2014 8:56:53 PM
Do you want to pay more for the exact same stuff? Go Nvidia. Want to get actual value for your money? Go AMD.
---
E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me.
#32MarikhenPosted 7/20/2014 12:22:19 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Haley Joel Osment posted...
RunFromThisGun posted...
Better game compatibility cost money.

Paying developers to use your middleware that intentionally cripples performance on AMD cards costs money.

Which is irrelevant and just provides more support that they would have better cards.

"They clearly have better hardware because they pay others to make anything else perform worse." That's great logic there... -_- Unfortunately games running better on hardware X because the developers artificially degraded performance with hardware Y doesn't prove that X > Y in absolute terms. It just proved that the developers are asses and that you shouldn't buy their games.

Whether or not there is any truth to such claims regarding nVidia and, presumably as part of their every so annoying*1 "The way it's meant to be played" campaign, developers have shown any sort of bias towards optimizing performance for nVidia cards or degrading performance (or simply not optimizing it) for AMD cards I couldn't say; I honestly don't know of any confirmed cases of such activities. My point is simply that what developers do to optimize or degrade performance with specific hardware does not indicate the actual raw power of said hardware.

*1 - Bear in mind that my annoyance factor with this stems solely from the many splash screens and .bik videos associated with it. The whole, "look at me look at me look at me look at me" aspect to it is, to me, somewhat disgusting. If nVidia needs to whore themselves out that badly to advertise then I'll put up some signs for them on various street corners for $10/sign.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#33Termin8rPosted 7/20/2014 1:01:10 AM
I thought I could give AMD another try after finding out how good of a deal the 280X was compared to the GTX 770 back in 2013.

Turns out it was a nightmare since it couldn't support three concurrent legacy displays without using the DisplayPort. This then required an active DP adapter which added to the cost quite a bit and I still ended up with really bad tearing as well as noticeably high frametimes in games. Never again, Radeon.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#34TimePharaohPosted 7/20/2014 1:06:56 AM(edited)
Marikhen posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Haley Joel Osment posted...
RunFromThisGun posted...
Better game compatibility cost money.

Paying developers to use your middleware that intentionally cripples performance on AMD cards costs money.

Which is irrelevant and just provides more support that they would have better cards.

"They clearly have better hardware because they pay others to make anything else perform worse." That's great logic there... -_- Unfortunately games running better on hardware X because the developers artificially degraded performance with hardware Y doesn't prove that X > Y in absolute terms. It just proved that the developers are asses and that you shouldn't buy their games.

Whether or not there is any truth to such claims regarding nVidia and, presumably as part of their every so annoying*1 "The way it's meant to be played" campaign, developers have shown any sort of bias towards optimizing performance for nVidia cards or degrading performance (or simply not optimizing it) for AMD cards I couldn't say; I honestly don't know of any confirmed cases of such activities. My point is simply that what developers do to optimize or degrade performance with specific hardware does not indicate the actual raw power of said hardware.

*1 - Bear in mind that my annoyance factor with this stems solely from the many splash screens and .bik videos associated with it. The whole, "look at me look at me look at me look at me" aspect to it is, to me, somewhat disgusting. If nVidia needs to whore themselves out that badly to advertise then I'll put up some signs for them on various street corners for $10/sign.

Literally not at all what I said. If you want a strawman, go watch Wizard of Oz.

So are you saying they DON'T have better hardware? Because ultimately everything you're saying is moot and pointless when the fact is they still have better hardware.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the only reason the 780ti crushes every AMD card in existence, is because they pay companies to make games run worse on AMD cards? You seem to be confusing your random personal vendetta with facts. You haven't actually said anything about the quality of the hardware on either side, but instead keep bringing up random conspiracies regarding what (note, third party) companies may or may not be doing.

You have a tinfoil hat and watch youtube videos pointing out music video symbolism all day, don't you?
#35BIastPosted 7/20/2014 8:16:05 AM
Building a PC is all about getting the best bang for your buck. You can always spend more to get something better. I just get the best deal available when I'm looking for new parts (I'm NOT talking about regular price) . Last time I bought a graphics card the best deal was on an AMD. A 7950 was heavily discounted and AMD was offering a bunch of games I was going to buy anyway (which is more $ savings for me). NVIDIA didn't have quite as large of a sale on their 7950 equivalent (they did have one) and they were only offering cash for use in free to play games that I hope I never play.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#36East WestPosted 7/20/2014 9:33:41 AM
nvidia cards cost more money so their fanboys are louder to justify their purchase.
---
xb1m13
#37MarikhenPosted 7/20/2014 11:08:31 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Literally not at all what I said.

You said that nVidia's paying developers is not only irrelevant but it goes to provide more support that nVidia's cards are better. I'd say my paraphrase was accurate.

TimePharaoh posted...
You seem to be confusing your random personal vendetta with facts.

I'd have to bother paying attention to who I am responding to and remembering who I've responded to in the past for anything to be personal or a vendetta. /shrugs.

That said, what facts? The fact that if nVidia actually is convincing developers to provide an unequal field between GPU manufacturers performance reviews incorporating those games are suspect at best and provide completely unreliable hardware performance values at worst? The fact that drivers can have a significant impact on hardware performance and that nVidia's driver support has slipped a bit in recent years? How about the fact that nVidia intentionally cripples multi-platform GPU performance for no valid, to the end-user, reason?

I had a thought. Do you know of any review sites that use their own software and drivers to test out and compare nVidia and AMD hardware? I mean if they do that then there ought to be a level playing field between all GPUs without having to deal with developer mistakes or optimization issues or games with questionable (de-)optimization for any given GPU manufacturer.

TimePharaoh posted...
instead keep bringing up random conspiracies regarding what (note, third party) companies may or may not be doing.

The funny thing about conspiracy theories is that all too often they turn out to be partly if not mostly accurate. Governments have proved that often enough.

TimePharaoh posted...
You have a tinfoil hat and watch youtube videos pointing out music video symbolism all day, don't you?

Hats mess with my hair, and if it doesn't come with a game I rarely listen to music in front of my computer.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#38BogePosted 7/20/2014 11:22:22 AM
Tie. Both do a great job with their video cards.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png