This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me decide on a game(s).

#1pwnater777Posted 7/19/2014 2:04:47 PM
Which would be better for me? - Results (36 votes)
Half-Life Complete
66.67% (24 votes)
Europa Universalis IV
33.33% (12 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I could get either from GMG for only $8, but I only feel like getting one right now. I love Valve games and I enjoy Half-Life, even though I already have Half-Life 1, 2 Team Deathmatch, and 2 Lost Coast. I like grand strategy games as well, though I've never played Europa Universalis IV and I feel like streams of it don't let me really see the game for what it is. Should I make huge progress in my Valve collection, or try out EUIV?
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#2LMTTNPosted 7/19/2014 2:07:48 PM
Europa Universalis IV has more replay value than the entire Half-Life series. It's also one of my favorite strategy games of all time.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Fallout
#3pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 2:24:14 PM
Bump for a few more votes. Any opinions on my little dilemma would be greatly appreciated!

And LMTTN, how many hours have you played? Trying to get some perspective.
---
#4bluemooglePosted 7/19/2014 2:33:56 PM
Looking now, I've played 333 hours of EU4 since about March. I haven't played the HL games since Steam added playtime tracking, but I'm going to guess fewer than 40 hours across all the games. Not that it's really a fair comparison, since EU4 is designed for replayability and HL makes for a quite memorable single playthrough.

My recommendation is EU4, but it depends slightly on what kind of grand strategy games you like. If you like CK2, you'll probably like EU4, since they are pretty similar in their "modern design" of the grand strategy genre. If you're a fan of the HOI3, Vic2, EU3 titles, then EU4 might feel a little too streamlined (although I wouldn't call it simple).
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#5pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 2:39:12 PM
bluemoogle posted...
Looking now, I've played 333 hours of EU4 since about March. I haven't played the HL games since Steam added playtime tracking, but I'm going to guess fewer than 40 hours across all the games. Not that it's really a fair comparison, since EU4 is designed for replayability and HL makes for a quite memorable single playthrough.

My recommendation is EU4, but it depends slightly on what kind of grand strategy games you like. If you like CK2, you'll probably like EU4, since they are pretty similar in their "modern design" of the grand strategy genre. If you're a fan of the HOI3, Vic2, EU3 titles, then EU4 might feel a little too streamlined (although I wouldn't call it simple).

The only grand strategy (if I'm even using the term correctly) I've ever really played would be Civilization, though I enjoy occasional streams of some others, like Crusader Kings 2 and Galactic Civilizations. Again, I may be completely confusing the term with something else, and I apologize if I am.
---
#6bluemooglePosted 7/19/2014 2:45:25 PM
Ehh, I'm not pedantic enough to argue the definitions of a genre. I think Civ is a little "lite" compared to the Paradox titles (not in a bad way, either). It's a bit of a jump to go from Civ to EU4.

If you want the biggest non-sell for these games, I would say it took me 10 hours of playtime to even start liking CK2 and EU4... and another 10 hours before I could say I was actually having "fun." That's a fairly big investment (I usually don't give boring games more than 1-2 hrs before stopping), but I'm glad I stuck with CK2/EU4. They're quite addicting once you get the hang of things!
---
#7bluemooglePosted 7/19/2014 2:46:56 PM
Oh fyi, if you do pick EU4 (although it looks like the poll is heavily in favor of HL at the moment), don't buy any of the DLC right away. They're not at all crucial to the game, and you won't really appreciate the additions until you've played for a while. They basically unlock additional ways to play the game, but vanilla EU4 is quite robust.
---
#8pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 2:49:39 PM
bluemoogle posted...
Ehh, I'm not pedantic enough to argue the definitions of a genre. I think Civ is a little "lite" compared to the Paradox titles (not in a bad way, either). It's a bit of a jump to go from Civ to EU4.

If you want the biggest non-sell for these games, I would say it took me 10 hours of playtime to even start liking CK2 and EU4... and another 10 hours before I could say I was actually having "fun." That's a fairly big investment (I usually don't give boring games more than 1-2 hrs before stopping), but I'm glad I stuck with CK2/EU4. They're quite addicting once you get the hang of things!

Alright, thanks! Definitely going to try it sometime, regardless of whether or not I pick it here.
---