This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So am i the only one who does this in most RPGs?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 7/19/2014 3:26:12 PM
I like my characters built to have specific functions.

For example in Skyrim (Which i haven't touched in a while) i'm building my orc warrior to be strong and tanky.

In WoW, i'm building a character mainly based around tanking too.

In Divinity i'm still getting used to it ^^.

DA: Origins is kind of a problem because all characters already come with specific functions, and it's kinda hard to build them without feeling that you messed up (Hope they allow more character progress fredoom on Inquisition).

On most JRPGs it doesn't really matter IMO, but i always find it useful to have a healer in the party (Which as always, are the weakest character in general, balance!).

In Borderlands 2 i just make something that makes me survive longer (That game is hard on Solo).

In the classic Fallout i'm still having problems creating a character that i feel comfortable with, any tips or ideas are welcome (I want a character that's brutal and can rely on himself, and that has good charisma/barter).

Dark Souls doesn't really matter either because despite skills being very useful it's mostly a thing of using the right equipment and having some skill.

The Witcher 2 is mostly about preparation, strategy and some skill.

Where am i getting with this? if i don't feel very comfortable with the characters i'm using, i restart the game, this is especially a problem in Dragon Age <.< mainly because you don't get a heal until later in the game.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2Edavy89Posted 7/19/2014 3:31:19 PM
I'm kinda confused on what exactly the question is. Are you asking if other people tend to build characters around a specific premise? If so, no, that's probably how most people go. Or, are you asking if other people tend to always take the route focused on survival?

Myself, I tend to just go with whatever looks coolest.
#3harcoreblazer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 3:39:08 PM
Edavy89 posted...
I'm kinda confused on what exactly the question is. Are you asking if other people tend to build characters around a specific premise? If so, no, that's probably how most people go. Or, are you asking if other people tend to always take the route focused on survival?

Myself, I tend to just go with whatever looks coolest.

It was about the restart if not comfortable part.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#4ChickenAndJuicePosted 7/19/2014 3:41:03 PM
Yes, you are the only one in the world who does this. You, out of the millions of people on this world, is the only one who does that in RPG's
#5TimePharaohPosted 7/19/2014 3:46:55 PM
10/10 user
#6DarkLagunaPosted 7/19/2014 3:47:48 PM
Most of us that started gaming way back in the D&D age (pen and paper, not the crpg's that came later) always try to build a balanced party. I'd say it's the rule rather than the exception.

It is fun to make an unconventional party for a challenge, or to mix things up, though. For instance, I went through Final Fantasy I with just white mages (and later went through with only one white mage), and I've went through Final Fantasy Tactics with very odd job combinations. In Divinity: Original Sin, I went through with two mages and a utility character (crafting, blacksmithing, etc.), one of the mages with Lone Wolf, and completely owned whatever I fought. It just depends on the game and the game mechanics for what you can get away with in building a party.

Also, Most JRPG's are so lenient that as long as you have a healer you can do whatever you want with the rest of the party, and in JRPG's with cheap, effective items or that let everyone use magic, you don't even need a dedicated healer.

I'm not sure why you mentioned Skyrim, since unless you build your character completely non-combat (lockpicking and speech, pretty much everything else contributes in some way to combat, especially Blacksmithing and Enchanting), you can get away with any kind of build. Especially since it follows the rule of having cheap, effective healing items (and you can use them instantaneously with no cooldown, while the game is paused, even). it's more a sandbox that you customize to your liking with mods than an actual RPG that involves much strategy.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#7NingishzidaPosted 7/19/2014 3:55:05 PM
TC plays teh bez RPGs.
#8brantankPosted 7/24/2014 6:44:02 PM
Tank characters all day everyday