This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else noticed this about controllers (for FPS)?

#1N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 7/19/2014 7:07:11 PM
So i just got done reading through a thread about how much someone hates console gaming for the specefic reason of the controller being an obstruction to their skill with aiming.

Here is my thing though. I have played FPS since the original DOOM and Wolfenstein on PC years, and years ago, and throughout those years i also played just about every console that has been released, and played hundreds of FPS games with a controller.

It seems that the contollers ability to simplify aiming, is not limited so much by the controller itself, but by how the developer programs the controls for the aiming.

I dislike Call of Duty very much nowadays, and actually liked the first and second MW, to which for those i will use as my example.

With a controller, the CoD games control very fluidly. Partially because the game runs at 60FPS, but also because of cohesive directional functionality of the aiming stick. Some games the ''deadzone'' thing can really make aiming feel wierd and oftentimes clunky. You want to aim to the left, and slightly up a little bit, but upon moving the stick left, and slightly up, you are more often than not just aiming to the left. Then having to return the stick to center, and then pointing it up, instead of moving the stick where you think it should be moved in order to set the reticule in that particular position. Sensitivity adjustments dont typically fix this problem, and i feel is a serious problem that many console shooters have.

The fluidity of say CoD MW, lets you aim just as smoothly no matter the position of the stick, while a game like Halo, can be much more tedious in terms of reticule placement in tandem with stick control.

I feel many FPS games fall victim to this, and just wonder if anyone else has experienced this with controller gaming, and if that is a main thing that turns you off to it, and if not, what exactly about it does. I think alot of the hate for controllers vs KB/M is not because of the concept of the controller, but more how the developer executes the controls for that specefic game.

I also will say that i do play a majority of my PC FPS games with a controller, and do very well when i do. I dont feel disadvantaged at all 99% of the time. So i guess what i would like to get out of this is specefic reasons like i listed that are drawbacks of a controller, that are hardware drawbacks, and not a drawback of bad control development (which like i stated i think is probably most of the problem with controller FPS gaming).
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5
#2R i c kPosted 7/19/2014 7:16:59 PM
The main reason PC gamers are turned off by controllers for FPS games is simply that they're less accurate, especially when it comes to high speed, high precision (twitch) movements. Consoles make up for this is with a mild amount of aim assistance but you don't even get that on PC.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#3arleasPosted 7/19/2014 7:39:36 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2011/1/24

Read the part of that where the guy talks about all the game design changes that have to be made when considering Mouse/keyboard as a control option vs Controllers.

I can only think of one instance where controllers gave an advantage in a PC focused shooter and that was the "Chargin Targe" exploit on TF2. Using that you could turn far more sharply than you could with a mouse because the charge was supposed to be mostly straight (with a slight curve possible over the entire charge).

If you're happy playing with a controller, good for you. Most people can aim much better with a mouse. Games made for controller are literally designed with controller in mind. Most PC shooters are designed with a mouse/keyboard in mind and make few (if any) allowances for controllers.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#4LOLIAmAnAltPosted 7/19/2014 7:55:21 PM
When everyone is using the same control input, such as on a console. There is nothing that makes it 'bad'.
Those controls are not 'bad', they are actually quite amazing for what they are!
They work well.

The thing is, Mouse and Keyboard are much more precise, in a much quicker manner.
And because of that, what is is what is
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#5Garage_ManPosted 7/19/2014 8:04:30 PM
I would agree it is up to the game. I fired up my PS4 (lol) and played a round of killzone (ahahahaha) and the controls feel so bad. You have to freaking move the stick halfway in order for it to move! I had to quit shortly after, it was literally game breaking imo.

Not all games are like that though, in fact more are better than bad. I mix it up when I play. I have a "decent" keyboard and mouse which is the Ducky Shine 3, and Logitech Performance MX (go wireless) but I will usually use the controller. I've been #1 on my KB+Mouse and I have been #1 on the controller.

TLDR: I don't feel like the controller hindered my gaming experience. In fact I usually always use it especially when I am on my TV.
#6TimePharaohPosted 7/19/2014 8:49:30 PM
Why would I know anything about controllers and FPS? I'm not a peasant.
#7N3xtG3nGam3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 10:16:33 PM
Garage_Man posted...
I would agree it is up to the game. I fired up my PS4 (lol) and played a round of killzone (ahahahaha) and the controls feel so bad. You have to freaking move the stick halfway in order for it to move! I had to quit shortly after, it was literally game breaking imo.

Not all games are like that though, in fact more are better than bad. I mix it up when I play. I have a "decent" keyboard and mouse which is the Ducky Shine 3, and Logitech Performance MX (go wireless) but I will usually use the controller. I've been #1 on my KB+Mouse and I have been #1 on the controller.

TLDR: I don't feel like the controller hindered my gaming experience. In fact I usually always use it especially when I am on my TV.

I'm pretty much the same way. I play on my TV, with my PC as my hub, so I navigate with KB/M, but use the controller when I turn a game on, unless it doesn't support it. But what you were referring to with KZ, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Like another poster said, PC focused games tend to have worse controls for a controller, and KZ is a perfect example of a game that has that input issue. KZ2 was like that as well, I played 2 a lot, and adapted to the controls, but they could have been better, and delivered a much, MUCH better experienced if the stick aiming was more smooth and refined.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5
#8Edavy89Posted 7/20/2014 7:51:50 AM
TimePharaoh posted...

Obviously you are to make that post.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#9N3xtG3nGam3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 10:41:43 AM
Edavy89 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

Lol, the peasant argument doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I mean, you would call someone a peasant because they can't afford something, yet I paid for a KB/M, and also purchased a controller, so technically people who JUST own a KB/M would be a peasant. Plus I've been able to afford consoles and PC, sooo, yeah. Definitely not a peasant in terms of what I can afford to play, or in terms of skill level with controller/KB-M.

Jus sayin.
---
#10kobalobasileusPosted 7/20/2014 12:36:53 PM
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
Edavy89 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

Lol, the peasant argument doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I mean, you would call someone a peasant because they can't afford something, yet I paid for a KB/M, and also purchased a controller, so technically people who JUST own a KB/M would be a peasant. Plus I've been able to afford consoles and PC, sooo, yeah. Definitely not a peasant in terms of what I can afford to play, or in terms of skill level with controller/KB-M.

Jus sayin.

Heh, I've always wondered about that too...

Computers come with a keyboard and mouse out of the box. Those things cost nothing and everyone has them. You could argue that "gaming" keyboards and mice are expensive, but they are also pretty ridiculous.

I'd much rather spend the extra cash on an awesome controller so I don't need to reserve three of my fingers just to move around.

Of course, I'm not really in either camp. I hate FPS/TPS with keyboards/mouse and traditional controllers. I'll be spending my non-peasant money to upgrade my Hydra to a STEM in a few months.