This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: RPG fans, do you like monster's level scaling or set ?

#1danny5329Posted 7/19/2014 10:58:05 PM
Do you like monster's level scaling or set ? - Results (619 votes)
Level Scaling
13.73% (85 votes)
Set
86.27% (534 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm curious about RPG gamers nowdays and would like to see which one do you guys prefer. I myself prefer the old school , Set level of monsters in an RPG world. Therefore it's more fun to progress thru the story and soemtimes you just have no choice but to get back to grinding in order to beat the higher level ones.
#2jedinatPosted 7/19/2014 10:59:58 PM
Some scaling, mostly set. Smart Scaling™.
#3ChromaticAngelPosted 7/19/2014 11:00:03 PM
Set, I want to be able to challenge myself by going into a high level area earlier than I'm supposed to, but winning anyway because of superior builds and tactics, getting the rewards, then destroying the lower level areas with them.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book I http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_i
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/mZ36ePrC
#4blax34dmPosted 7/19/2014 11:00:32 PM
Set. Level scaling is the quickest way to ruin an otherwise good game. Case in point: Oblivion. The map was a circle for f*** sake, make the enemies get progressively harder the farther you venture out!
#5NingishzidaPosted 7/19/2014 11:15:17 PM
Oblivion's direct-to-player level-scaled enemies and loot was awesome! Much better than Skyrim's casual mix of static leveling and level scaling (20/80), which didn't challenge you beyond player level 20.
#6rpgianPosted 7/19/2014 11:16:54 PM
Set. I'd rather have some toughies tucked away in each area (dark souls, ff12) and places you can visit early when the story doesn't lead there that would just be set beyond you.

If they want to upscale enemies they should do it by adding new ones to areas or replacing them with story progression. I don't like the lv14 enemy to level 14 character or lv 1 boss to level 1 character crap.
#7jedinatPosted 7/19/2014 11:17:06 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Oblivion's direct-to-player level-scaled enemies and loot was awesome! Much better than Skyrim's casual mix of static leveling and level scaling (20/80), which didn't challenge you beyond player level 20.

Do you know what's also awesome?! Having your fingernails cut out with razors.
#8NingishzidaPosted 7/19/2014 11:23:15 PM(edited)
blax34dm posted...
Set. Level scaling is the quickest way to ruin an otherwise good game. Case in point: Oblivion. The map was a circle for f*** sake, make the enemies get progressively harder the farther you venture out!

Uh, that's what OOO did for Oblivion, it added invisible concentric circles emanating out from the center of the empire, the more you ventured outward from the center, the harder encounters would get but the better the rewards would be.
#9Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 7/19/2014 11:24:01 PM
Set. I like to feel like I'm getting stronger.
#10PaukenPosted 7/19/2014 11:28:42 PM
A little of both. Enemies in specific zones/areas/etc are higher level than enemies in other zones/areas/etc. That's how level scaling should work; enemies in newb areas only scale up to a certain point before becoming "maxed", while higher level areas have enemies that max out near the player's cap. Going full set results in crap like FF3's "oh sorry, this dungeon's meant for people 50 times your current level, you are going to die horribly trollololololol", while going full scaling results in hilarious crap like Oblivion's "sorry, your character build sucks, he enemies are now superior to you, ta ta for now" or "hi, I'm a random bandit; my armour is worth more than the entire province of Black Marsh because you're so high level; a full bandit dungeon would likely feed the entire population of Tamriel for 1000 years; his makes no sense but that's how it's gonna be trollololololol". A mix provides balanced difficulty curves while also allowing badasses near max level the ability to go back to newb town and one shot he low-level enemies that maxed at level 5, which makes the best sense in any game that uses any type of open world.

Unfortunately all Oblivion and Skyrim mods focus on one or the other. Very few use a min/max level setup where newb zone enemies max out their scaling much sooner than late game zones, if any at all...it's a shame as Skyrim and Oblivion would really benefit from level scaling with ranges for each zone...