This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: RPG fans, do you like monster's level scaling or set ?

#11kobalobasileusPosted 7/19/2014 10:37:41 PM
Scaling is utterly pointless. If a game is an RPG, its main mechanic is making the character better at the game via leveling up. If leveling up results in enemies that are still just as difficult to defeat, why bother leveling the player or enemies at all?

Oh, wait, I forgot, the "chase" that so many people seem obsessed with...
#12Death_BornPosted 7/19/2014 10:59:25 PM
Level scaling really sucks. It's like the Mario Kart blue shell, I want to actually feel like I'm getting stronger and not that the game is cheating to get to my level.
#13tumbleweed1Posted 7/20/2014 1:21:11 AM
scaling is grabage
#14myztikricePosted 7/20/2014 1:30:26 AM
I prefer ranges than either, and it depends on the game. A linear game like Baldur's Gate has no use for scaling since you're going to separate areas along for a story. I like scaling in an open-world like Skyrim so I'm not punished for deciding to do quests in one area and then going to another and having them all be low-level trash.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#15NingishzidaPosted 7/20/2014 2:27:50 AM
myztikrice posted...
A linear game like Baldur's Gate has no use for scaling since you're going to separate areas along for a story.

1) Baldur's gate is not linear. BG2 is linear only after chapter 3.

2) Baldur's Gate has level scaling, in BG1 trashmob random spawns increase in number. in bg2, they might throw a lich into an undead encounter at high level. but the ways it's done is sensible, it isnt direct to your level.

I like scaling in an open-world like Skyrim so I'm not punished for deciding to do quests in one area and then going to another and having them all be low-level trash.

Except in Skyrim almost everything is low level trash, since scaling stops for the most part at player lvl20, with only a few enemies scaling to 40, and only vamps going to 60, when the player can each lvl81 and "infintely" more with Legendary. Bethesda boasted of deleveled or static enemies a la OOO for Oblivion or FWE Fallout 3 in Skyrim, but didn't deliver except for giants and 1 or 2 others, who's loot is directly scaled anyway. total fail.

And you think it's a punishment bumbling into a high lvl encounter, in true newbie fashion. i guess scoping out a dungeon to see what's there first is too much for you, and getting half way through a dungeon and hitting a brickwall of high lvl enemies and having to backout and do something else for awhile is too hardcore for you (ie, Requiem Skyrim overhaul). pathetic show, son
#16NemerlightPosted 7/20/2014 2:44:01 AM
I prefer set. Level scaling ruined Oblivion for me. It actually felt like your characters actually got weaker at higher levels.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#17MarceloSampaioPosted 7/20/2014 2:57:46 AM
Set levels. Level scaling, to me, makes the game feels like leveling up is bad instead of good.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#18Golden_GonadsPosted 7/20/2014 3:16:14 AM
Limited Scaling. Give opponents in an area a level, then adjust it by say 10% based on your characters level/ability.
#19PaperDiddyKongPosted 7/20/2014 3:22:45 AM(edited)
It's funny. People always seem to hate level scaling, yet most CRPGs seem to have level scaling one way or another. Level scaling existed WAY before oblivion. The developers didn't make it as obvious as Oblivion.
#20ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 4:22:43 AM
PaperDiddyKong posted...
It's funny. People always seem to hate level scaling, yet most CRPGs seem to have level scaling one way or another. Level scaling existed WAY before oblivion. The developers didn't make it as obvious as Oblivion.

They put level scaling in the game because they don't want to accidentally inconvenience a player by making him fight an enemy he probably can't kill and thus cause him to die. Heavens forbid someone actually have to worry about retreating or finding a different way to deal with a powerful enemy than just taking turns hitting each other in the face until loot falls out of their dead body.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity 2 http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_2_developers_cut
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/9ULqSth8