This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: RPG fans, do you like monster's level scaling or set ?

#61justdontaskPosted 7/20/2014 1:07:27 PM
i think 12 does it best, where monster levels are set within a certain range, varying per monster, per area. fight a wolf in the southern estersand, itll be between 2-5. fight it in the westersand, it might be level 8. northern estersand? level 30.

this way gives you that bit of scaling, so you might be able to beat something if its on the lower end of its scale, but if youre way over it, it might be slightly more worth fighting if its on the higher end of its scale.

of course, if you wanna fight tough enemies in 12, the easiest way is to fight level 99 mandragoras in the feywood..... scary as hell if you dont realize they gain levels from that song....
---
i rarely return to topics i post in, if you have a problem with my posts, PM me.
i do track topics i create for a few days.
#62Merc123Posted 7/20/2014 1:17:58 PM
Set. Makes me think of Dragons Dogma on PS3 where i loved the set monster. I remember venturing out pretty early on only to get obliterated by enemies in an area that i wasn't ready for. It made it much more satisfying when i went back stronger and wiped the floor with them instead.

Overall i think having high level monsters in certain areas makes it more fun when you run into them at low levels, creates more tension imo.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#63king1988Posted 7/20/2014 1:35:58 PM
Set it makes a smoother gameplay and rewards combat. Level scaling means to me just run from battles buy the best armor you can and fly through. I like to have to level up and set up my characters because they are going to be much harder in the next area.
#64machetemanPosted 7/20/2014 1:53:52 PM(edited)
ChromaticAngel posted...
They put level scaling in the game because they don't want to accidentally inconvenience a player by making him fight an enemy he probably can't kill and thus cause him to die. Heavens forbid someone actually have to worry about retreating or finding a different way to deal with a powerful enemy than just taking turns hitting each other in the face until loot falls out of their dead body.

You have terrible opinions and are flat out wrong almost 100% of the time.

Hint: It's an open world game. One of Oblivion and Skyrim's (and other games similar) draw was the possibility of being able to do any quests at any time, in any order. These games give the player freedom that you don't normally find in many other games.

Enter level scaling. You want to quest in Riften at level 2 and have equal skill fights? No problem, level scalling allows this. You want to quest in Riften at level 30 and still have equal level fights? No problem, leveling scaling allows this. Level scaling was implemented so that every "new" area you enter and experience doesn't devolve into "This is a level 4 area and I am level 20...this is boring one-shotting everything".

It's not a "lol gotta maek game ez becuz dont want player to DYEE!!"

WIth that said, I like level scaling for sidequests and the like, but having set levels for main quests.
#65machetemanPosted 7/20/2014 1:56:31 PM
It also allows developers to design open world content that will share similar and rewarding experiences amongst every player, no matter the path the player took to get to that area or zone.
#66Sans PantsPosted 7/20/2014 2:00:59 PM
Set. The only series I'm okay with level scaling in is Super Robot Wars, and that series has set levels more often than scaled levels. The reason being is that enemy upgrades don't scale with yours (one issue I have with scaled-level games is that enemies sometimes get stronger at a higher rate than you do, making levelling up range from "semi-useful but not ultra-necessary" to "downright counterproductive"), nor do their stats exceed any further than what would normally be gained by levelling. Several of these level-scaling games make it so that you can improve your stats far beyond the normal levels. Even moreso when the stat cap is 999 instead of 400 or "level 99 value+255". Which the enemy will never reach.

Four GBA games (the ones that aren't "Original Generation") and the first one's PSP remake, the one N64 game, the one Gamecube game, the one Wii game, and the three on DS and one on 3DS. Yeah, level-scaling is definitely not the norm (the series spans 22 years and a LOT of games).
---
I was hiding the end in the dream unconquered, hoping that this day will be a wonderful day.
#67ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 2:05:06 PM
macheteman posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
They put level scaling in the game because they don't want to accidentally inconvenience a player by making him fight an enemy he probably can't kill and thus cause him to die. Heavens forbid someone actually have to worry about retreating or finding a different way to deal with a powerful enemy than just taking turns hitting each other in the face until loot falls out of their dead body.

Hint: It's an open world game. One of Oblivion and Skyrim's (and other games similar) draw was the possibility of being able to do any quests at any time, in any order. These games give the player freedom that you don't normally find in many other games.

Enter level scaling. You want to quest in Riften at level 2 and have equal skill fights? No problem, level scalling allows this. You want to quest in Riften at level 30 and still have equal level fights? No problem, leveling scaling allows this. Level scaling was implemented so that every "new" area you enter and experience doesn't devolve into "This is a level 4 area and I am level 20...this is boring one-shotting everything".

WIth that said, I like level scaling for sidequests and the like, but having set levels for main quests.

This post gave me cancer.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book III http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_iii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/Suxb3Z43
#68Unbridled9Posted 7/20/2014 2:12:24 PM
Set.

Especially if the game offers a NG+ feature. Seriously, if you're gonna offer us the option to start over with our level, and likely equipment, intact let us feel like it's actually an accomplishment. Don't suddenly scale enemies up as well. Otherwise we may just as well have started over entirely anew.
---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.
#69nazacuckooPosted 7/20/2014 2:15:08 PM
Set, so that grinding feels rewarding.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: NazaCageRatt | VITA PSN: Nazacuckoo
Hooray! Persona Q and SMT IV are being released in Europe! Nothing else to report.
#70machetemanPosted 7/20/2014 2:15:49 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
macheteman posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...

This post gave me cancer.

It is 100% impossible to design an open world game that has the freedom to mix/match quests the way Oblivion/Skyrim do without level-scaling. This is just fact. Whether or not you like this kind of game is entirely up to you and has no bearing on this whatsoever.