This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: RPG fans, do you like monster's level scaling or set ?

#81Spawn_LOLsPosted 7/20/2014 2:57:29 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I prefer scaling when done right, but since every single game ever seems to think that means that the monster level should be based on your character level, which is just stupid, and makes it better to avoid any kind of leveling up at all, I'ma vote set.

That is not true in Skyrim. The game does get easier when you level up.
#82ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 2:58:00 PM
macheteman posted...
You move from one side of the map to the other side in a free-roam type fashion. You can't start on one side and move the opposite way.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here. You can move in any direction you want, to any location, from any other location.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum: Escape from the Pit http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/DUiaHrLW
#83ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 2:58:50 PM
Spawn_LOLs posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I prefer scaling when done right, but since every single game ever seems to think that means that the monster level should be based on your character level, which is just stupid, and makes it better to avoid any kind of leveling up at all, I'ma vote set.

That is not true in Skyrim. The game does get easier when you level up.

that's because Skyrim has max levels for almost every npc in the game. The only ones that don't have a level cap are J'zargo (really?) Ancient Dragons, and major questline bosses.
---
RPG Spotlight: Beyond Divinity http://www.gog.com/game/beyond_divinity
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/ZN8H2QKB
#84Spawn_LOLsPosted 7/20/2014 3:05:49 PM
cdog21 posted...
Ame_no_Murakumo posted...
Set. I like to feel like I'm getting stronger.

This all the way. Which is just one of the reasons I hate Skyrim and Oblivion.

Really? I dont get why people say this about Skyrim. Oblivion, sure, but with Skyrim when you are at a high level you can destroy everything
#85clowningPosted 7/20/2014 3:07:07 PM
blax34dm posted...
Open world doesn't mean you should be able to do any quest at any time and the game bends to your abilities.

What you mean to say is: "doesn't have to be" not "doesn't mean you should be...."

But I disagree. If you are unable to operate in certain areas due to levels, then the world is not functionally open, it just uses this method of closing off parts of the world until you are able to survive them. You could travel to those areas, but other than walk around, you really can't do anything. So in a sense it's open, in another sense it isn't. This method is a sort of halfway point between locked zones and a fully open interactable world.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#86ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 3:16:17 PM(edited)
clowning posted...
But I disagree. If you are unable to operate in certain areas due to levels, then the world is not functionally open,

wrong

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeefGate

learn 2 play.

Kingdoms of Amalur has an achievement for killing one of these things before you're supposed to.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum http://www.gog.com/game/avernum_the_complete_saga
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/Mk2YM7aD
#87LoshadtPosted 7/20/2014 3:15:57 PM(edited)
Level scaling should be used extremely sparingly otherwise you just end up with something like Oblivion which may in fact be one of the worst RPGs I've played ever.

clowning posted...
But I disagree. If you are unable to operate in certain areas due to levels, then the world is not functionally open, it just uses this method of closing off parts of the world until you are able to survive them. You could travel to those areas, but other than walk around, you really can't do anything. So in a sense it's open, in another sense it isn't. This method is a sort of halfway point between locked zones and a fully open interactable world.

An open world means you can go where you want when you want to, this does not mean it's always a good idea. Oblivion sucked because the level scaling actually gave you a sense of regression when you leveled up. If you can't handle the monsters you either get clever or you get lost.
---
Scientifically proven.
#88jbraleyPosted 7/20/2014 3:14:22 PM
A mixture of the two, like Morrowind. Like the Sixth House bases, early on they would destroy you instantly but end game and they were a cake-walk, where as monsters in the wild would always stay around your level
---
FC: 5000-2917-5159
Fighting Safari: Tyrogue IGN: Elayne
#89clowningPosted 7/20/2014 3:37:32 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...

Kingdoms of Amalur has an achievement for killing one of these things before you're supposed to.

Sorry, but one example, in one game, does not a rule make. In general, what I said is correct.

Loshadt...

An open world means you can go where you want when you want to, this does not mean it's always a good idea

Well, not necessarily. That is one way to define an open world in an RPG, but not the only one. "Open" can also mean the ability to do the content in that area, as well. Generally, when talking about open worlds, that's what people mean. They mean that you can go anywhere and do the content that is there.

This is why I pointed out that the necessary duality of open vs locked/closed worlds is a fiction. You can have varying degrees of these things in games, and many games these days have that. It is not really an issue of one or the other.

Some people prefer a more closed off world, others a more open one. I'm agnostic and don't care, as long as it's done well. Closed set-level areas, or open-leveled areas...neither are bad. As with most things, it is a matter of implementation.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#90NingishzidaPosted 7/20/2014 3:41:21 PM
macheteman posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
They put level scaling in the game because they don't want to accidentally inconvenience a player by making him fight an enemy he probably can't kill and thus cause him to die. Heavens forbid someone actually have to worry about retreating or finding a different way to deal with a powerful enemy than just taking turns hitting each other in the face until loot falls out of their dead body.

You have terrible opinions and are flat out wrong almost 100% of the time.

Hint: It's an open world game. One of Oblivion and Skyrim's (and other games similar) draw was the possibility of being able to do any quests at any time, in any order. These games give the player freedom that you don't normally find in many other games.

Enter level scaling. You want to quest in Riften at level 2 and have equal skill fights? No problem, level scalling allows this. You want to quest in Riften at level 30 and still have equal level fights? No problem, leveling scaling allows this. Level scaling was implemented so that every "new" area you enter and experience doesn't devolve into "This is a level 4 area and I am level 20...this is boring one-shotting everything".

It's not a "lol gotta maek game ez becuz dont want player to DYEE!!"

WIth that said, I like level scaling for sidequests and the like, but having set levels for main quests.

This post embarrassed the human race so much, the apes are loling in the trees.