This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do elitists hate on the idea of a Gaming Tablet?

#31KingKoboPosted 7/20/2014 10:42:03 AM(edited)
Goldninja posted...

*facedesk*

"Desktop gaming is better than mobile gaming." Again, common knowledge. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. Not everyone likes to lug a heavy desktop around and some like to play on the go. Not everyone is such a graphics whore that they need to play on ultra at all times, and, so, sacrifice graphics for mobility.

Anyway...

Maybe you need better reading comprehension because I never said desktop gaming was better than mobile gaming. I said PC gaming isn't feasible when you're talking about any sort of major 3D title because of battery limitations. I said nothing about playing on ultra or better graphics/performance. Gaming laptops eat battery no matter what the game or settings. My friend who has a Razer Blade can only play one match of League of Legends before his battery is almost dead.

MY POINT was that true mobile gaming when it comes to actual PC games and not older titles isnt possible at this point and time.
#32hitokiri13Posted 7/20/2014 10:47:05 AM
GamingLablet posted...
Tablets already cover the multimedia purpose and are easy to handle. And there are already tablets that can run some PC games, outside of streaming(Surface Pro 2+3)

Why hate on evolution? Sure, you can stream games onto the device, but streaming will never replace being able to play the game anywhere, anytime. Streaming requires you have a decent router set up, and stuff like interference and downloading games interfere with the experience

A gaming tablet that even has a laptop gpu and cpu while keeping the form factor of a tablet is far better than a gaming laptop. Gaming laptops can't be held and played, and you'd need access to a power outlet to have decent performance. Not to mention that you need a cooling pad along with it, as laptops tend to overheat without them when gaming. A gaming tablet with decent sized hard drive along with 3-5 hours of battery life when playing games would be awesome. Even if it were restricted to 720p gaming

And unless you've been living under a rock, there are 3rd party accessories where you can hook your controller to your tablet for gaming, or even put the tablet itself into a sort of 3rd party controller to have the form factor similar to that of the Wii U game pad.

Or does PCH just hate on anything that isn't a Desktop?

You didn't realize you don't have carry your PC on the go. If you heard a LAN party just today or plan to go to friend's house to play games with. You can quickly pick up keyboard, mouse and other PC gaming accessories and laptop and go out the door in few minutes.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#33SnadadosPosted 7/20/2014 10:48:53 AM
I much prefer a tablet or smart phone for mobile gaming over a laptop.

Games for tablets and phones are usually made knowing the device's capabilities in mind and good games are designed to work with and around such benefits and limitations.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#34GoldninjaPosted 7/20/2014 11:06:06 AM(edited)
KingKobo posted...
Goldninja posted...

*facedesk*

"Desktop gaming is better than mobile gaming." Again, common knowledge. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. Not everyone likes to lug a heavy desktop around and some like to play on the go. Not everyone is such a graphics whore that they need to play on ultra at all times, and, so, sacrifice graphics for mobility.

Anyway...

Maybe you need better reading comprehension because I never said desktop gaming was better than mobile gaming. I said PC gaming isn't feasible when you're talking about any sort of major 3D title because of battery limitations. I said nothing about playing on ultra or better graphics/performance. Gaming laptops eat battery no matter what the game or settings. My friend who has a Razer Blade can only play one match of League of Legends before his battery is almost dead.

MY POINT was that true mobile gaming when it comes to actual PC games and not older titles isnt possible at this point and time.

Laptops can be plugged in. Not everyone wants to lug a tower, monitor, keyboard, and mouse everywhere they go. Yes, they eat battery, but when you feel like gaming and there's an outlet near by, presto, it works.

Yeah, there are limitations for gaming on the go. There always have been and there always will be. Until battery technology has improved dramatically, we have to deal with those limitations. Still, plugging in a laptop when you're on the go is significantly more convenient than lugging all that equipment around, and I have no problem with lowering some graphics settings for that convenience.

Basically, we won't be getting, "true mobile gaming" until batteries suck less. Btw, my initial argument was laptop vs tablet. If you're going mobile, one is obviously better than the other. That was my point pertaining to the topic. Anyway...

Yes, a desktop is preferable for "true" PC gaming. I never said otherwise. I thought it was such common knowledge, that I didn't need to tack that on at the end of every post. *tacking this on just in case*
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#35kobalobasileusPosted 7/20/2014 11:52:43 AM
1. Touchscreens only work with a limited number of gameplay paradigms.

2. Tablets are thin and low powered. If you want good gaming performance out of a tablet, it would have to have a 10lb. battery and would blow hot air out of vents on every edge.
#36PraetorXynPosted 7/20/2014 12:07:41 PM
It's not so much that they aren't liked. It's a few things:
Bear in mind I travel a lot for work so I do have a gaming laptop, but I wish I could be on a desktop all the time. A mini ITX build isn't much less portable than a laptop, monitor aside, and will be infinitely more powerful.

1. Price to performance ratio - This is atrocious on laptops, as a half-decent gaming-capable laptop will cost you at least $2000, but for $1000 you could build a desktop that would s*** all over the most powerful laptop in the world. This should be even worse on tablets as the Surface Pro is $1000 and it isn't capable of much of anything.

2. Battery performance - On my laptop, it will not even game on battery. The one I used to have would, but it was a lot bulkier. The one I have now loses over half its performance if I play on battery, and I know this as I mistakenly tried to do it once and thought it meant I couldn't run a new game. You're looking at about an hour of battery usually in the best case anyway.

3. Controls - I think tablets are great for mobile gaming, I really do. But you have to play games that are very suited to the hardware, which pretty much limits you to collectible card games like Magic: The Gathering. Fortunately I happen to enjoy those games so that's all I need for tablet gaming.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#37MarikhenPosted 7/20/2014 12:17:35 PM
The problem with tablet gaming is that it amounts to Facebook With Friends. Furthermore many developers who create games for tablets that don't produce dreck that would rival Zynga's offerings produce games that all too often have mechanics worse than what we saw in PC games two decades ago. I'm not even referring to the touch screen aspect of it so much as things like, for example, the game Iesabel and how as soon as you stop "clicking" (either mouse click or finder on screen) your character stops moving and how any tiny object on the screen can provide an insurmountable obstacle to your character. Now in all fairness even modern day PC developers can produce real stinkers, but a higher percentage of tablet games can fall into this category.

Worse still many developers insist on porting these games to the PC with minimal changes for the new platform. This in turn results games that don't look, sound, or play as well as most people would expect them to and that often have control issues that PC players have come to feel is unacceptable in modern PC gaming. This in turn helps reenforce negative opinions on tablet gaming by the PC gaming community. Again in all fairness I must also point out that PC gaming does provide some other stinkers here with games like Dark Matter not allowing control customization.

I suppose that what it boils down to is that PC gamers see themselves as living in a fairly upper-class neighborhood whereas tablet games are trailer trash. They just don't want to see their property values decline. /shrugs.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#38LazyyAmericanPosted 7/23/2014 4:00:59 PM
Because it will never replace keyboard and mouse and we all love manually installing new parts....mobile gaming is it's own separate thing it will never dominate the enthusiast gamer market.
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience
#39KURRUPTORPosted 7/23/2014 6:37:24 PM
I don't hate on it I just don't think there is a large enough market for it to warrant the r&d and production costs.

I mean mobile gaming has already been figured out with the ds, seems like nvidia is trying to change it into something that most people don't really want.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#40TheMadTokerPosted 7/23/2014 6:50:34 PM
GamingLablet posted...
KittyRead

Was it really necessary to make an alt for such a harmless topic?

Harmless? You get bashed and flamed and called a pitiful troll if you even entertain the idea of mentioning a tablet and gaming in the same sentence. it's bad enough with the laptop hate, but the tablet hate is 10x worse.

So you're a wuss?

Gotcha.
---
01001001 01101010011101010111001101110100 011101110110000101110011011101000110010101100100 01111001011011110111010101110010 01110100011010010110110101100101