This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

OP Systems Question.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. OP Systems Question.
1 year ago#1
I bought last week a new led tv, purposely for a bit of tv and pc gaming.

I'm planning to buy a gaming pc asap, with in mind, up to date as of now, but, i want to delve into games that are a decade old, allied assault and united offensive for e.g. I just get so excited watching these games. I recently started crisis (Ps3 DL) and i remember the talk and praise it made in the gaming world on Pc - yes, I've been missing out and i want to change that.

I'm happy searching and reading advice on forums, google e.t.c

Just one thing i wanted to get cleared up. Do i need multiple op systems to run older games, say I'm running windows 7, is that going to support a game from 2004?

Thank you for any advice, i will keep reading and learning.
---
Its all in the hips baby.
1 year ago#2
For the most part, Windows 8.1 (or 7) will run nearly all older games, save a few that you may need workarounds for, but those can (usually) be easily found with a google search. Now, for the REALLY old games (like 90s and before) you may need DOSbox or similar, but that is simple to setup.

If you're still also looking for a build, people around here are helpful with those as well.
1 year ago#3
RoryMcilroy posted...
Just one thing i wanted to get cleared up. Do i need multiple op systems to run older games, say I'm running windows 7, is that going to support a game from 2004?

compatibility is tricky. Generally speaking, anything that ran on MS-Dos will run on Windows 7. Anything that runs on 8 will run on Windows 7. Anything that runs on Vista will run on Windows 7. Anything that runs on XP may run on Windows 7 with some compatibility tweaking, or not, some games are just easier to run than others.

the real f***ers are the games that were made for Windows 95, 98, and 2000. Good luck getting that s*** running. services like GOG.com gave many of those games (most of the ones that were worth playing, at any rate) compatibility fixes for modern windows, so fret not, you'll be able to play Planescape: Torment on Windows 7 just fine.
---
RPG Spotlight: Beyond Divinity http://www.gog.com/game/beyond_divinity
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/ZN8H2QKB
1 year ago#4
Thank you, that is very much appreciated :)
---
1 year ago#5
GOG is where I recommend getting old games. But unlike consoles, when you upgrade you keep your library (for the most part). But I regularly load up games like vampire the masquerade bloodlines, and that was made in 04. Oldest game I play regularly though would be Deus Ex... Or System Shock 2 I can't remember which is older... Or maybe starcraft... Oh well, you get the idea, those came out on or before 2000 and they still play.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
1 year ago#6
I already know that pc gaming will consume and become a new part of my life, I find it all rather exciting. I didn't dive into this current gen console gaming, my newest console is a ps3, which is not that new these days!

I'm ready for the leap into pc gaming!

:-)
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. OP Systems Question.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived