This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Modding skyrim: take 2

#1unknowninfo775Posted 7/20/2014 3:03:05 PM
So last time I modded my skyrim, the entire thing had a massive stroke and it basically crashed on the loading screen, or straight up froze on the title screen. It was all running smoothly until I enabled "realistic needs and diseases". So I uninstalled every single mod, deleted them all from computer, deleted my saves and reinstalled skyrim. Still, I couldn't even start a new game.

I eventually just searched "skyrim" in my files and after a completely clean install I got it working again. Question is, how do I know this isn't going to happen again. The obvious answer would be to not install RNAD but surely I should be able to get this to work, right? Skyrim is only the second game I've modded outside of New Vegas, and I've only had a gaming pc for a little under a year, so this is basically still new to me.

(Disclaimer, my boyfriend actually modded the majority of skyrim for me the first time)
---
Two milkmen go comedy
-Official Isa of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board-
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 7/20/2014 3:09:27 PM
unknowninfo775 posted...
how do I know this isn't going to happen again.

you don't. try to only install mods you can't live without.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity: Original Sin http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/W5VSkrTC
#3jedinatPosted 7/20/2014 4:22:28 PM
If you mod it correctly there's almost no chance of anything like this happening... So there is that.
#4Knighted DragonPosted 7/20/2014 4:24:10 PM
I've spent the last two days modding Skyrim after a fresh install, the game looks ridiculously good. It is highly unstable though, it randomly locks up from time to time and sometimes just dies. Once I can fix that I'll be good,
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#5Solid_FakePosted 7/20/2014 4:25:13 PM
Sounds like you need a new boyfriend.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#6Jules RulesPosted 7/20/2014 6:31:33 PM(edited)
You stop it happening again from reading the manual. You probably installed the Pure Waters patch or another water mod patch for RND and if you don't have that mod, the game will crash instantly because it's trying to load something that's not there.

Look up Gopher on Youtube and follow his tutorials.
---
What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?
XBL & PSN: OMGFather
#7ygfbvPosted 7/20/2014 7:19:21 PM
Jules Rules posted...
You stop it happening again from reading the manual. You probably installed the Pure Waters patch or another water mod patch for RND and if you don't have that mod, the game will crash instantly because it's trying to load something that's not there.

Look up Gopher on Youtube and follow his tutorials.

This.

You probably wasted your time reinstalling when you could have just disabled the mod.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg
#8GoldninjaPosted 7/20/2014 7:49:22 PM
Try Mod Organizer. It apparently doesn't mess with the base installation, so even if a mod borks your game, the original install should be safe. Wrye Bash is also really good, if you get used to using it. It tells you right away when there's a conflict. Find and install LOOT to organize your mods correctly (I like it more than BOSS).
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#9RaikouenPosted 7/20/2014 7:55:59 PM
I've only installed one mod, the one that makes your race's stats a more significant difference from other races' stats (such as Nord having a +10 Two Handed and +5 on One Handed, Smithing, etc).

I remember modding Morrowind in the past to the point where it was unplayable and I lost a file that had hundreds of hours of progress as a result. I'm not risking it again.
#10thatfool12GsPosted 7/20/2014 8:44:56 PM
What I do is install the mod manually, and if it causes problems I go back to the folder and use ctrl+z to reverse the action.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU