This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it Ok if PSU cable (6 pin molex slighty touches the gpu?

#1RaikozyPosted 7/20/2014 4:48:40 PM
Hi guys, so I am doing a bit of cable management on my PC build. My only problem is that the 6pin molex that is plugged in on the top left of my mobo (its normally 4pin for some people, my mobo has a lot of ports so it needs more power). I tried routing my cable from behind the case but its not long enough. So instead, I pulled the cable backward and go up vertically to the 6 pin molex ports.

Basically I ended up having that 6 pin molex passing through behind my GPU. If you look at your gpu, right behind the ports for pci express, you can find a small cutout that fits this cable. I went to this one thread in forum recently and the guy told something similar. However this is my concern. would this be fine? one part of the cable is touching the gpu cutout slightly, while the other part is touching the mobo slightly. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 capacitors right located in that cut out. So is this fine? I worried that they gonna heat up and melt my molex cables. Thank you for your help in advance.
---
MEOWW!!!
#2Raikozy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 5:07:36 PM
my bad i mean PCI-E power cables
---
MEOWW!!!
#3Blobs_Posted 7/20/2014 6:46:47 PM
As long as the cables arent exerting a lot of force on the contact points, and they are rubber/plastic insulated, then they should be good. You should post a picture of what you are talking about so it's easier for us to understand.
---
is haha
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/20/2014 6:59:04 PM
Also as long as they aren't touching a fan.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#5Raikozy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 3:50:25 AM
thank you, they are hard rigid plastic covered, and they dont touch the fan
---
MEOWW!!!
#6KURRUPTORPosted 7/24/2014 3:57:46 AM
They are insulated so there isn't going to be any sort of electrical short if that's what you are concerned about. The only thing that a cable should not be allowed to touch is fans, not only will it slow down the fan but eventually it will cut through the cable and cause problems.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#7PraetorXynPosted 7/24/2014 6:15:30 PM
As long as it can't be pulled into the fan you're golden. I'd try to tie it back to something to ensure that doesn't happen.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png