This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the FEAR trilogy worth playing through?

#11sfcalimariPosted 7/20/2014 7:23:12 PM
FEAR 1 and Extraction Point are good shooters. They aren't scary, but the ambient music does a good job of being creepy.

Only really scary game I've ever played was STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, though it's not a horror game, it's just really eerie and unsettling pretty much all the time.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#12KaiRyusakiPosted 7/20/2014 7:25:29 PM
People who hate Fear 3 are tryhards.

Play FEAR. play the expansions, they're mostly more of the same but not too long.
Play Fear 2.

If you have Fear 3 on steam, contact valve and tell them you'll sue their asses if they dont let you remove that from your library permanently.
#13DiviDudePosted 7/20/2014 7:35:56 PM
FEAR 1 is good but massively overrated. Repetitive corridors and repetitive enemies, and not terribly scary. It has some quality AI going for it but that's the only notable thing about it.

FEAR 2 has the best story of the bunch, the most memorable maps (although mostly still corridors), and the ending is particularly noteworthy. It's mediocre as a shooter, plays pretty much like any modern FPS.

FEAR 3 also plays basically like any modern FPS. I hear the coop is actually really fun, but I never tried it. It's not awful; worth a playthrough if your backlog is small enough.

Each game can be found for cheap if you're patient (under $5 for each), and at those prices they're all worth playing.
#14shdwdrgnixPosted 7/20/2014 9:12:43 PM
if by trilogy, you mean the first game and the two expansions, then I fully recommend it. The AI is easily one of the best even compared to now and the horror is much better than several other games.

The other two games shouldn't even exist as they are not even scary and the atmosphere is gone entirely. They have become action games the entire way.
#15Bikes-Posted 7/20/2014 9:35:03 PM
Fear 1 is decent.
Fear 2 is awful.
Fear 3 is fun for co-op but the plot is a train wreck.

All the DLC seems to be non canon, 1's officially is, 2's dlc seems to have been forgotten about by the time 3 came around, but I never could find a official statement on the matter.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#16SnadadosPosted 7/20/2014 9:49:00 PM
Fear 1 - Fun, worth playing.
Fear 2 - Fun, worth playing
Fear 3 - Awful. Avoid.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#17ThisGuy101Posted 7/20/2014 9:50:00 PM
DiviDude posted...
FEAR 2 has the best story of the bunch, the most memorable maps (although mostly still corridors), and the ending is particularly noteworthy. It's mediocre as a shooter, plays pretty much like any modern FPS.

I still remember that Wade Elementary level. Always scared me.

I can't think of a single other shooter level I immediately remember, except the Favela single player mission in MW2 and the hospital and subway levels also from FEAR 2.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#18LordOfLegaciesPosted 7/20/2014 10:16:05 PM
TC opinions will differ about the games (especially the sequels) but you at least owe it to yourself to play them.
---
OUTSIDE NOW I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE OUTSIDE NOW NO I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE
#19paramite12Posted 7/21/2014 8:44:33 AM
I never thought any of the fear games were even remotely scary so i guess that's why I didn't think fear 3 was bad.
Fear 1 is by far the best, but if you can get them all for like $15 I'd say it's worth it.
---
trolls, trolls everywhere