This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC gaming - couple of visual setting questions...

#1rdking96Posted 7/20/2014 7:20:47 PM
Hey guys- just finished building my PC last week and I gotta say, I'm absolutely loving it so far! But one thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around are all the different options for visual settings in games. This isn't a luxury console gamers get, and I'm not sure which ones are the most taxing on FPS. Beyond that I'm wondering what options you guys think get you the most bang for you buck.

I'd like to stay in the 50-60 FPS range. It's funny by the way how quickly my opinion's changed on this. Back when I played on consoles 30 FPS seemed fine. Now if anything dips below 50 I get frustrated and go right into the options menu to do a little more tweaking.

Any who, I'm playing AC4 right now, and I'm having a tough time finding the sweet spot for 50-60 FPS on my computer. It's either too low of a setting and I get screen tear, or it drops to 30 FPS during scenes with a bajillion charaters walking around the screen. See below for my build and let me know what visual settings you think get you the best bang for the buck and which ones you think offer little return in graphics while still dropping the FPS.

Asus GTX 770 OC 2 GB
Intel i5 4790k
ASRock Extreme4 Z97
8 GB DDR3 Ballstix RAM
120 GB Samsun EVO SSD
TB HDD
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2jedinatPosted 7/20/2014 7:25:32 PM(edited)
Screen tear is something you can get rid of using V-sync (+triple buffering usually). You should be maxing (or near) the game easily.
#3rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 7:26:27 PM
jedinat posted...
Screen tear is something you can get rid of using V-sync (+triple buffering usually). You should be maxing the game easily.

I used V sync - but the game keeps jumping up to 61-63 FPS quite often and causes screen tearing still.

Also having trouble finding an AA that I like...seeing that annoying flickering effect is getting on my nerves!

I have everything maxed at with TXAA x2, except for PHYSx and God Lighting which I have on low. That seems to be doing pretty well right now, but I was wondering what settings others found the most beneficial in games. Note- not trying to limit this to just AC4 by the way...just using that as an example.
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#4jedinatPosted 7/20/2014 7:29:43 PM
I've never had screen tearing with v-sync on--I don't even think it's possible. I use Direct3D overrider to force v-sync in games that suck at it.
#5Clutch_TheoryPosted 7/20/2014 7:37:01 PM
The game is horribly optimized if you're using the highest settings. Here's what i did with mine to have it not dip below 60.

Shadow Quality to Very High (not soft shadows)
God Rays to Off (using Eagle Vision turns this to low anyway so I just disabled it completely)
Anti-Aliasing to Off ( AA sucks in AC4, for some reason every setting is incredibly blurry. If you find the jaggies to be distracting you can force AA in the Nvidia control panel like I did. To me it looks better than whatever they're using for the in-game settings)
V-sync to Off (The game is hard capped at 62 FPS or so anyways, and turning it on caused me to dip to 30 whenever it went below that)

Those are just my personal settings for the absolute worse case scenario, so that the game wouldn't dip below 60. I'm also using a 780ti so your mileage may vary.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 7/20/2014 7:38:49 PM
Use nvidia control panel's vsync over the in-game vsync, it'll give you less input lag and in my experience it's a lot more consistent. Adaptive vsync is a nice feature as well though it's not as consistent, when I use it most games tend to top out at 85 fps for whatever reason, though it still seems to take care of the tearing somehow. It dynamically disables vsync when you fall below 60 fps preventing it from dropping all the way to 30 with every drop.

With tons of characters on screen though that's likely a CPU issue. What you can adjust to alleviate CPU issues is pretty much a game by game basis and I've never played the AC games to have any idea of what they offer. Make sure your gpu is set as your PhysX device for starters, and turning down shadows helps most games.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 3:25:28 AM
Noted - thanks guys. Sounds like I'll have to do some digging in the actual nVidia software when I get home from work tonight. Haven't played around in there too much yet other than using ShadowCapture.

I found their "Optimal" settings were shooting for something way beyond what my PC can do and because of that just stopped using it :P Guess I'll give it another whirl though.
---