This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom is apparently making a come back

#1GoldninjaPosted 7/20/2014 7:27:42 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/doom-gameplay-unveiled-at-quakecon-2014?read

Signs look good.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#2jake-sfPosted 7/20/2014 7:35:30 PM
The news all sound good. Too good. I'd like to see this from my own eyes.

We stil have to know about the level design and such. I haven't seen any wannabe old school FPS go anywhere near the old school level designs.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3Lord_VaderPosted 7/20/2014 7:37:03 PM
I don't understand why they are rebooting the series for the second time. I mean the ending for Doom 3 kind of hinted at a sequel so couldn't they work off of that?
---
Live long and prosper.
#4jedinatPosted 7/20/2014 7:37:04 PM
Shame there's no video.
#5XianCePosted 7/20/2014 7:38:01 PM
Meh, they should have left it buried tbh.
---
Nintendo is truly desperate, they're only surviving off nostalgia
#6DiviDudePosted 7/20/2014 7:40:16 PM
Lord_Vader posted...
I don't understand why they are rebooting the series for the second time. I mean the ending for Doom 3 kind of hinted at a sequel so couldn't they work off of that?

Well, DOOM 3 wasn't very good so I'd rather they just try again altogether.
#7ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/20/2014 7:44:08 PM
DiviDude posted...
DOOM 3 wasn't very good

Yes it was.
#8Orestes417Posted 7/20/2014 7:48:17 PM
Doom 3 was a terrible DOOM, regardless of how it was as a game.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#9ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/20/2014 7:49:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Doom 3 was a terrible DOOM, regardless of how it was as a game.

Still great, though.
#10capgamerPosted 7/20/2014 8:38:35 PM
I thought Doom 3 was pretty bad in a lot of ways and really didn't care for.

Ugly art style... only really passable because you're fighting demons and so it doesn't matter if everything is gross looking. An example that I remember as really technically impressive graphics that just end up looking like garbage because the art direction is ugly and doesn't work (IMO, of course).

The gameplay itself is this sort of awkward blending of old and new shooters... the lack of exploration and linear nature of newer shooters with the inexplicable monster closets of old shooters.

Probably the biggest barrier to my enjoyment of Doom 3 though is that Half Life 2 came out around the same time (give or take a year, I don't remember the exact date both came out) and was just so mindblowing both in the art direction and the heavy reliance on physics.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown