This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom is apparently making a come back

#11kobalobasileusPosted 7/20/2014 9:45:40 PM
XianCe posted...
Meh, they should have left it buried tbh.

Agreed. Nothing about this sounds good in any way.
#12Blobs_Posted 7/20/2014 9:49:24 PM
Basically Doom3 wasn't a doom game.
---
is haha
#13Lord_VaderPosted 7/20/2014 10:20:29 PM
capgamer posted...
I thought Doom 3 was pretty bad in a lot of ways and really didn't care for.

Ugly art style... only really passable because you're fighting demons and so it doesn't matter if everything is gross looking. An example that I remember as really technically impressive graphics that just end up looking like garbage because the art direction is ugly and doesn't work (IMO, of course).

The gameplay itself is this sort of awkward blending of old and new shooters... the lack of exploration and linear nature of newer shooters with the inexplicable monster closets of old shooters.

Probably the biggest barrier to my enjoyment of Doom 3 though is that Half Life 2 came out around the same time (give or take a year, I don't remember the exact date both came out) and was just so mindblowing both in the art direction and the heavy reliance on physics.

The art style is purely a subjective thing and it certainly was different from the style in the classic games, I'll give you that. In terms of the gameplay however I feel the reason they took that approach (mostly narrow corridors with monsters surprising you) was due to how new the engine was. They probably weren't comfortable going for the all out gore-infested shooting fest seen in the earlier games because of the novelty of the engine. Also, the engine itself was technically impressive at the time (and still is imo) and going for that type of open world feel would've been very taxing on most systems. People have taken the engine to its full capability with mods like sikkmod and boy does the game look beautiful, even by today's standards. Add to the fact that many people have made custom levels that even replicate the feel of the original games and you get a totally awesome experience that could have been Doom 3 if the engine was utilized to its fullest.
---
Live long and prosper.
#14MasterFenix95Posted 7/20/2014 10:28:45 PM
Blobs_ posted...
Basically Doom 3 wasn't a doom game.

Just like the Doom movie wasn't a doom movie. Its still good, just not for being what is was.
I personally like Doom 3 although its no where as good as the first two.
---
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two negatives do make a positive.
#15phy2jshPosted 7/20/2014 11:05:13 PM
MasterFenix95 posted...
Blobs_ posted...

Just like the Doom movie wasn't a doom movie. Its still good, just not for being what is was.

Did you just say the doom movie is good?
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#16Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 7/20/2014 11:52:00 PM(edited)
Doom3 was fantastic if you enjoyed an entire game of cat-scare moments, peashooter weapons, and toggling the flashlight pointlessly as you ran around waiting for the next monster to predictably jump around the corner.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#17Kad-ManPosted 7/20/2014 11:53:54 PM
phy2jsh posted...
MasterFenix95 posted...
Blobs_ posted...

Its good in its own corny way and you know it. Just like all those horrible chinese movies that are soo bad they are good.
#18phy2jshPosted 7/21/2014 12:00:59 AM
Kad-Man posted...
phy2jsh posted...
MasterFenix95 posted...
Blobs_ posted...

Its good in its own corny way and you know it. Just like all those horrible chinese movies that are soo bad they are good.

Don't make up excuses for liking terrible movies; I don't subscribe to the 'So bad it's good' concept. Things can be cheesy and still be good (eg. Wolfenstein The New Order). The Doom film was just plain bad.
#19NemerlightPosted 7/21/2014 1:41:31 AM
Last time Id software made anything good was in 1993.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#20SpazH3dPosted 7/21/2014 5:09:08 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
XianCe posted...
Meh, they should have left it buried tbh.

Agreed. Nothing about this sounds good in any way.

How is this guy possibly saying that? A Doom 3 fanboy, perhaps?
---
- My vision is augmented