This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom is apparently making a come back

#51KURRUPTORPosted 7/21/2014 9:05:11 PM
I think I remember hearing that the game was already scrapped once and started again from scratch because it didn't seem good enough.

I'm hoping it will be solid but really not holding my breath for it.

For the record I did enjoy Doom 3, thought it was a fun game for what it was. Not ground-breaking and awesome as the originals but ffs, can any game achieve something that legendary ever again?
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#52NeninaPosted 7/21/2014 9:17:26 PM
Doom benefits from rose tinted glasses. I don't think it will be good enough to be exactly like before, because it will simply have a been there, done that feeling. The gameplay needs to come first, and they better not try to gimmick it up with quicktime events, sticky cover mechanics, rail levels, etc, and cool things that don't work well.
#53jake-sfPosted 7/21/2014 11:29:03 PM
Nenina posted...
Doom benefits from rose tinted glasses. I don't think it will be good enough to be exactly like before, because it will simply have a been there, done that feeling

Its not like you can ask them to do better.

When I play old FPS, I think of all the things they could have. But we can't even get to that level at all, let alone go further.

I mean, from Doom and what it was, we could do a lot more, and still stay true to old school FPS. We just are never going to do anything special at this rate, though.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#54ThePonyColliePosted 7/22/2014 5:13:58 AM
Goldninja posted...
They just better make it moddable. I enjoyed Doom 3 for what it was, despite being disappointed by it. There were some great mods for that game though. Mods for Doom 2 were all over the place and some were better than the base game. Modding is in Doom's blood, so they better not lock it down like so many games are these days.

But how are they gonna sell us DLC if the game can be modded?
---
No Steam, no buy.
#55daniel79Posted 7/22/2014 5:47:29 AM
Doom 3 still makes me crap myself with the lights off and the headphones on at one in the morning :(

I was disgusted what the did with the ps3 version of Doom BFG but I did love the original Doom 3 on the pc (The original, original Dooms are still best on ps1, the music made it..)

Here's hoping 4 (Or Doom) is good though.. I'd buy it.
#56HappyHippo04Posted 7/22/2014 8:00:43 AM(edited)
Vanillas Doom 3 was a great game and a decent Doom game IMO. That garbage expansion pack with the super power mask was stupid and easy.

Of course I may not be qualified to speak on the original Doom. It was my very first game I ever played, I was 3 and my dad would control the game and tell me when to shoot things. I barely remember anything about it.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#57ggf162Posted 7/22/2014 8:26:24 AM
"Regenerating health is fine in many games and I know some folks out there may be nervous about this, but don't dismiss this just because it's different."

Lol
---
The constructive use of riches is better than their possession.
#58foodeater4Posted 7/22/2014 8:28:22 AM(edited)
I never though Doom 3 was good at all. I bought it on PC back when it first came out and I got bored pretty early on. The level design and appearance was just so boring to me. And it was the same thing over and over after a while. Walk around, lights flicker, baddies appear and kill. The sound and stuff was cool and kept you on the edge, but the game itself was boring.

When the BFG edition came out I gave it another go and while I lasted longer this time around, I still got bored

Anyways, I loved doom back in the day. I remember picking up the shareware version at Electornics Botique at the mall when I was a kid. Love doom 1, 2, even loved the N64 version and any other remakes of the old school doom games, but since Doom 3 the series has basically been dead to me.
#59Myself9Posted 7/22/2014 10:36:24 AM
IGN still exists?
---
I drink YOUR milkshake
VirtualHillClimb.com