This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer won't start with secondary HDD attached to mobo

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Computer won't start with secondary HDD attached to mobo
2 years ago#1
I have a Kingston SSD 120 GB and a Seagate barracuda 2TB. For some reason my computer won't start if I leave the Seagate Barracuda attached to the mobo - it's stuck on the Windows logo screen forever. Then if I reset my computer it prompts me to do a system repair from a failed start up. However if I detach the Seagate from the mobo (with computer off of course) and reset, the computer boots up as normal in 10 seconds. Why is this happening?
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
2 years ago#2
Could be any number of things, from a bad cable, to trying to boot off the wrong drive, to a failing hard drive, or possibly even a bad mobo port. Is there anything on the other drive? And is your boot order set correctly?
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
2 years ago#3
Yeah I use the Seagate barracuda to install all my games on. Had 3 spare SATA cables and they all did the same thing. Its weird though.... I thought the second HDD shouldnt even mess with booting up as the SSD is what the OS is installed on. :/
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
2 years ago#4
I mean even if the SG HDD was dying, wouldnt i still be able to boot the pc to desktop?
2 years ago#5
Not necessarily. Might want to download a diagnostics disk like Hirens or UBCD and run a scan on the drive. If you prefer to make a USB key instead of a CD YUMI will copy the image for you. For that matter check and make sure the drive shows in your bios/uefi properly.
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
2 years ago#6
In BIOS, only my SSD shows up, the HDD doesnt show up. :O
2 years ago#7
Somethings wrong with the drive.

Orestes417 posted...
Might want to download a diagnostics disk like Hirens or UBCD and run a scan on the drive.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
2 years ago#8
Good time to check your warranty status as well
2 years ago#9
Cant scan the drive because I can't boot the computer with the drive attached.

Before the computer got all messed up, I had run a "disk repair" on Windows to see what was going on. The next time I started up the computer is when all this trouble began. Can they be related?
2 years ago#10
You missed the point, you download the diagnostic disc image and either burn it to a CD or make a liveusb disk and boot from it. If those won't boot with the drive attached then you most certainly have issues.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Computer won't start with secondary HDD attached to mobo

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived