This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Turns Out No One Wants Those 8-inch Windows Tablets

#1SampsonMPosted 7/21/2014 3:51:21 AM
Lenovo pulls 8-inch tablets citing lack of demand:
http://bgr.com/2014/07/18/lenovo-thinkpad-8-sales/

I've argued with people on this board before who recommend something like a Dell Venue over an Android tablet. I have no idea why anyone would buy an 8-inch Windows tablet, and struggle to see the appeal of 10-inch Windows tablets.

Most Windows apps were designed for 15-inch screens -- using them on an 8- or 10-inch screen doesn't make any sense. And the Windows store has a serious lack of mobile apps. My main PC is a Windows machine, obviously, but I would never buy a Windows tablet. Something like the Surface Pro 3 is interesting, but absurdly expensive.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#2tigerslashIIPosted 7/21/2014 3:59:59 AM
The Surface Pro is my favorite tablet to use on the market right now. It's overpriced for what it is, but from a user perspective, everything about it is lovely. The iPad is a close second.
---
Get a loada this guy here.
#3SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 4:06:27 AM
I've played with the SP3 at the Microsoft store. It's awesome, but at that price, I don't see the point. At $1000-$1500 why not just get a high-end Ultrabook or a Macbook Air?

Something as great as the SP3 in the $600-700 would be great.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#4Born LuckyPosted 7/21/2014 4:09:43 AM
I don't get tablets at all.

At work there are computers.

At home is my nice desktop.

A laptop is nice for hotel rooms.

What would I use a tablet for?
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#5SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 4:14:00 AM
More portable than laptops. Always-on. Better battery life. Can use with one hand (to some extent and depending on the size). Mobile apps (which are increasingly better than x86 apps).
---
#6blax34dmPosted 7/21/2014 4:23:51 AM
I pretty much see the tablet is exclusively for media type stuff. Some examples where it has been great: using to surf the internet on a sofa/in bed, playing games on a plane, walking around the house while on Skype, watching any instructional stuff on programming without having to move windows around on your laptop so you can work along with the video, drawing/painting digitally.

Obviously most things can be done by a phone/ps vita or whatever, but it's nice to have a tablet to do all of them.
#7Born LuckyPosted 7/21/2014 4:25:39 AM
"More portable than laptops.
Always-on.
Better battery life.
Can use with one hand
Mobile apps "

Okay . . none of those are good reasons.

More portable? If laptops are too big and heavy for you .. . man, I don't know what to say about that
Always on? So what?
Battery life? I plug the laptop in at a hotel, and I don't sit in the backseat when the car is moving. . . . because I'm the one driving.
One hand? I prefer keyboard
Apps? Apps are toys that I've never had a use for.
---
#8SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 4:44:28 AM
@Born Lucky

You're just wrong, really. That's all there is to say about that. Tablets are not as vital as laptops or smartphones, but there's a place for them.

Can you name me the last major x86 application (that wasn't a video game)? Mobile developers are killing x86 and it isn't even close.
---
#9DragnfyrPosted 7/21/2014 5:11:21 AM
A tablet is a lot more comfortable to use on the couch than a laptop.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#10Born LuckyPosted 7/21/2014 5:20:16 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
You're just wrong, really.

Yet you don't say one thing to prove it.

Which of those things was I wrong about?
---