This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any freebie video editors you guys can recommend?

#1MetroidJunkiePosted 7/21/2014 10:12:53 AM
I loved Sony Vegas but the price tag on that thing is outrageous and I'm not going to resort to those methods that Gamefaqs mods would frown upon me mentioning so, any good ones that are free? Maybe something on par in terms of complexity to, say, GIMP?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#2KillerTrufflePosted 7/21/2014 10:19:16 AM
I got Sony Vegas Pro for $60 a few years ago. It's showing more now (maybe it's become more popular and they jacked up the price tag?), but you should still be able to find a decent deal for it.

Unfortunately, there are no "good" free video editors out there. Best bet is going to be Windows Movie Maker most likely. There is definitely no free editor out there (so far) with features comparable to GIMP.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3ShubPosted 7/21/2014 10:22:45 AM
If you thought the price on Vegas was "outrageous", you haven't seen the price tag on Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X or even Avid Media Composer... Anyway, I don't think there's anything good and free out there. I presume you don't have a Mac, but iMovie on Mac is OK. I haven't touched Windows Movie Maker in ages so I can't talk about it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4KillerTrufflePosted 7/21/2014 10:31:10 AM
Yeah, even with its current price tag, Vegas is on the lower end of cost.

I myself actually picked up retail copy of Adobe CS6 Production Premium (includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Audition, Prelude, Encore, Flash, etc.) for a crazy good price, so that's what I use now, but Vegas was still great, and I still keep it around just in case. I think I have Vegas Pro 11 (the one I got for $60).
---
#5ShubPosted 7/21/2014 10:33:42 AM
If you only have a need for a video editor for a short, one-time project (say you'll be able to complete it within 30 days), consider purchasing a month of Adobe Premiere CC subscription through their Creative Cloud service. If you're a student, you can get it for less, too.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 7/21/2014 10:44:41 AM
Yeah, Adobe's student prices aren't all that bad.

Another option you can look at that isn't free, but it's less expensive, is Adobe Premiere Elements. It's much more limited than the full version, but it's better than WMM, and includes the most commonly used core editing tools. Worth checking out if the others aren't working for you...

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65225383-Premiere-Elements-12/dp/B00EOQZB32
---
#7neroAngeloPosted 7/22/2014 2:19:12 PM
You could try Lightworks. It doesn't have the best interface, but it's pretty good.
---
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#8OriginallyAlexPosted 7/22/2014 2:31:20 PM
I second the Lightworks suggestion for a free one. Just look up tutorials. I also think that you can now download Adobe's CS2 programs for free from their website, so Premiere CS2 may be worth a shot.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexFailsYT
3DS FC: 1478 - 3822 - 3143
#9KillerTrufflePosted 7/22/2014 3:10:36 PM
OriginallyAlex posted...
I second the Lightworks suggestion for a free one. Just look up tutorials. I also think that you can now download Adobe's CS2 programs for free from their website, so Premiere CS2 may be worth a shot.

If Premiere CS2 is part of the free package, that's absolutely a good idea - it hadn't occurred to me that they might include that in the free CS2 stuff.
---