This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I know my video card is ancient by todays standards but I am poor so...

#1lost_withinPosted 7/21/2014 1:53:40 PM
Will Dirt 3 run on a ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series?

any opinions?
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#2cody4783Posted 7/21/2014 2:03:54 PM
"HD 4800 series" is very vague, unfortunately. Performance could range from not running at all to running relatively decently on medium settings.

Chances are if you've got a mid-range card in that series, it'll run on medium-ish settings if your CPU is worthwhile. DiRT 3 is actually rather nicely optimized and runs smoothly on less-than-extreme hardware.

ATI's cards are hard to identify through the driver; If Catalyst Control Center doesn't list it properly, you might try soemthing like GPU-Z to see if it detects it's full name:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

At the least, you might be able to post a screenshot and someone here might be able to identify the exact card based on other information.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#3KURRUPTORPosted 7/21/2014 2:09:28 PM
It ran pretty well on my 4850 if I remember correctly, codemaster does a really awesome job with their PC game optimization, even more so on amd cards as they work together on most of their stuff.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#4ghstbstrPosted 7/21/2014 2:18:06 PM(edited)
Go on ebay and get a Radeon HD 7950 for just over $100. I did and got a great deal, and I am unemployed. I got PowerColor PCS+ AX7950 Radeon HD 7950 3GB for only $110 with free shipping.
---
Xbox360/One + PS3/4 + Wii U + PC = Awesomeness!!!
#5Freedan12Posted 7/21/2014 2:17:45 PM
If you are poor, shouldn't you be finding ways to make more money instead of wasting time playing video games?
#6YOeastonYOPosted 7/21/2014 2:27:37 PM
Freedan12 posted...
If you are poor, shouldn't you be finding ways to make more money instead of wasting time playing video games?

Because people aren't allowed to enjoy themselves because they're poor.
#7GoIrish80Posted 7/21/2014 2:28:30 PM
Depends which 4800 series card it is.

Like another person said go on Ebay and you can find a pretty decent new card for like $100. And if you can't afford $100, then get a job and start saving.
#8Freedan12Posted 7/21/2014 2:35:39 PM
YOeastonYO posted...
Freedan12 posted...

If they are on Welfare, Foodstamps, section 8 and other bennies, then yes, they shouldn't be enjoying life on someone else's dime.
#9hastergPosted 7/21/2014 2:41:17 PM
Freedan12 posted...
YOeastonYO posted...
Freedan12 posted...

If they are on Welfare, Foodstamps, section 8 and other bennies, then yes, they shouldn't be enjoying life on someone else's dime.

He clearly means he's too poor to afford something superfluous like a video card upgrade. Some people on these boards really need reading comprehension lessons/
#10godplaysSNESPosted 7/21/2014 2:47:37 PM
Even at Dirt 3's release, the HD 4000 series was almost only three years old. Lack of DX11 aside, the HD 4850 and above were still considered adequate gaming cards back then.

That said, it of course matters greatly if it's an HD 4830 or HD 4890
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!