This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I buy my PC parts new or used?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I buy my PC parts new or used?
10 months ago#1
Behold, another first time builder question!

I'm going to build my first computer next month and was wondering whether or not it's worth it to pay the extra money to buy new or save a few bucks and buy used from a trusted seller. I usually buy things from sellers with a 95%+ feedback on Amazon, so I'm not that stupid lol

Thoughts and such would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you could share which manufacturers you buy from would greatly appreciated. (A moose, PSI, Gigabowser etc.)
---
I'm a gamer, not a financial analyst
10 months ago#2
I'd buy new.

If I did buy used, I'd make sure it's a factory refrub that is covered by a warranty from the manufacture.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
10 months ago#3
Definitely recommend buying from A moose. Gigabowser's not bad but you can't beat the craftsmanship offered by A moose.
10 months ago#4
New, I don't buy used electronics ever, I don't trust them. I don't really buy anything used at all, but electronics are way too sensitive and easy to break for me to trust some one else to have taken care of them, or for the factory to have really "checked over" their refurbished ones
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
10 months ago#5
The one used/refurbed product I'd recommend would be EVGA's B stock cards. They're technically refurbs but most of the cards in the B stock are trade-ins from EVGA's step up program which means they have less than three months of use on them and there was likely never a problem with it.

I would avoid used AMD cards like the plague currently, and I wouldn't buy any used unlocked processors since they've likely either been pushed hard or didn't overclock well (I need as much single thread performance as I can get so a poor overclocker would really frustrate me).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
10 months ago#6
I've bought refurbished parts before and have never had an issue because of it.

But just straight up used I never would.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
10 months ago#7
I bought a used Radeon x1650 graphics card that got twitchy (read BSODs) when running multiple monitors and ran up to 90-95C. I also got a used TV/monitor that was described as barely working, but for the most part it functioned fine until it up and died on me something like 6-7 years after I bought it.

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions on getting an old Audiovox LCD TV working when it powers on for a second or two, including the screen light, before going completely dark while still having the "power on" LED shining I'm open to'em. :-D

I already soldered in some new capacitors to get my LG monitor working. At this point putting in some work to get my fourth monitor back wouldn't be much of a hassle.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
10 months ago#8
i would buy a motherboard new but video card is okay used, same with cpu

if there's no physical damage most likely they'll run fine
---
i think it's nice
10 months ago#9
Interesting... I guess I should be a bit weary around used parts.
---
I'm a gamer, not a financial analyst
10 months ago#10
PhilOnDez posted...
The one used/refurbed product I'd recommend would be EVGA's B stock cards. They're technically refurbs but most of the cards in the B stock are trade-ins from EVGA's step up program which means they have less than three months of use on them and there was likely never a problem with it.

I would avoid used AMD cards like the plague currently, and I wouldn't buy any used unlocked processors since they've likely either been pushed hard or didn't overclock well (I need as much single thread performance as I can get so a poor overclocker would really frustrate me).

This. I have bought refurbed EVGA cards and they are going strong for a long time.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I buy my PC parts new or used?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived