This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Guild Wars?

#11TimePharaohPosted 7/21/2014 10:19:12 PM
JKatarn posted...
TheCommunator posted...
GW1 = Great
GW2 = Garbage

Yeah, GW1 was fine and dandy if you wanted to jump into a warzone, not so much for the story and PvE element, GW2 is leaps and bounds better in that regard.

Not really considering both the story and PVE (as well as everything else) is terrible in GW2.
#12JKatarnPosted 7/21/2014 10:19:31 PM
CatToy posted...
iversonownsu3 posted...
TimePharaoh - GW isn't an MMO? Always thought it was.

There isn't anything massively multiplayer about it. Even the developers have maintained that it isn't an MMO.

Yeah, I'd love to see the quote on that as I have a feeling it's fabricated. You don't get much more MMORPG than large groups of players taking on world elites or the other team in large PvP warzones.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#13I_Am_On_FirePosted 7/21/2014 10:21:01 PM
TP is probably talking about the original Guild Wars.
---
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 8x64
#14Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 7/21/2014 10:21:50 PM(edited)
I really hated GW2 for a variety of reasons (lack of roles, dps derp zergs roaming the zones burning down everything in sight, etc.) but some people tolerate it for the pvp. Original GW isn't really an MMO, it's more like a lobby game with hotbar combat.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#15CatToyPosted 7/21/2014 10:21:25 PM
JKatarn posted...
Yeah, I'd love to see the quote on that as I have a feeling it's fabricated. You don't get much more MMORPG than large groups of players taking on world elites or the other team in large PvP warzones.

http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#16TimePharaohPosted 7/21/2014 10:22:16 PM
JKatarn posted...
CatToy posted...
iversonownsu3 posted...
TimePharaoh - GW isn't an MMO? Always thought it was.

There isn't anything massively multiplayer about it. Even the developers have maintained that it isn't an MMO.

You realize the topic is talking about Guild Wars....correct?
#17JKatarnPosted 7/21/2014 10:52:41 PM
CatToy posted...
http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Ah, I see the confusion, I believed OP was referring to GW2.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#18DawnshadowPosted 7/22/2014 3:21:40 AM
Haven't played the first one (I want to someday, but haven't got around to it), the second one is fun and very casual-friendly, but the endgame is basically the same as leveling. It's similar to WoW in that it's a hotkey MMO (although it feels a little more action-y than WoW) but very different in design philosophy.

There's no raiding and no endgame gear treadmill-- if you play WoW to increase your item level, you might feel a bit out of place. I actually do not have a max level character yet, but so far I've found questing and leveling to be a lot more fun than WoW's because everything is shared-tag-- as long as you do a reasonable amount of damage to your target, you get XP and loot rights (and everyone is DPS, so you will be doing a reasonable amount of damage.) That one tiny change means that leveling turns into being annoyed whenever another player appears to steal your mobs and slow down your questing to being happy to see other players because you can all help each other and maybe go kill some of the group elites that spawn. I've not messed with the group dungeons yet because the last time I played GW2 I had a malfunctioning wireless adapter that would randomly shoot my latency sky-high until it was unplugged and allowed to cool down, making me a very unreliable teammate.

I've actually enjoyed the personal storyline. Sure, it's sort of cliche, but it's entertaining and the voice acting hasn't made me turn off the speakers yet.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#19machetemanPosted 7/22/2014 3:59:25 AM
idk why people hate on GW2, it was a one time fee MMO that had a large amount of leveling based content and exploration, as well as one some of the most balanced and competitive PvP in an MMO in recent years.

But because there was no trinity or endgame people cried. It doesn't have a subscription. Its fine.
#20Hi CPosted 7/22/2014 4:27:00 AM
GW2 the only "MMORPG" (I still maintain it isn't a real one same as GW1) I've played in 20 years that I haven't reached level or skill cap on.

Some of the most backwards game design I've seen.