This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the Golden Age of PC Gaming?

#41Knighted DragonPosted 7/22/2014 6:07:49 AM
dragon504 posted...
MasterTurtle posted...
Right now.

This. We can play any older game from any other generation as well so PC gaming only gets better and better.
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#42VindrisPosted 7/22/2014 6:12:48 AM
Doom (1993) - Wrath of the Lich King (2010 Cata relased, WotLK obsolete)

For me that's it. In between those 2 games there were so many amazing games. There are still great games coming out, but I still have yet to find a game that pulls me in more than WoW (vanilla-WotLK) did. I want another MMO that consumes my life, as weird as that may sound. Doubt that'll happen until Blizzard's next MMO.
#43jolll4Posted 7/22/2014 6:12:52 AM
Right now since we got rid of games for windows and steam exists. Just waiting for another rainbow six and it shall be gold mushroom era.
---
3DS code: 0361-7746-4221 - Joe
Kanto has more poison types than the rest of the gens combined
#44SlyClone2kPosted 7/22/2014 6:14:20 AM
Quite enjoying current titles on my PC. But amongst my favourite ever games were x-wing (1993), GTA (1997), Shogun:Total War (2000) and Battlefield 1942 (2002).

I don't think there's ever been a golden age. There's always been fantastic titles.
---
Take this! And that! And some of these! And one of those!
#45Esky8Posted 7/22/2014 6:21:17 AM(edited)
~ 1999-2000; Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Half Life, Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island
#46DarthSchubertPosted 7/22/2014 6:49:31 AM(edited)
1998-2002

1998: Starcraft, Half-life, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft: Brood Wars, Fallout 2
1999: Age of Empires 2, Counter Strike, Planescape: Torment, Alpha Centauri
2000: Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex
2001: Civilization 3
2002: Warcraft 3, Morrowind

I mean, really 1998 was the year. But I stretch to 2002 because games like Starcraft, Counterstrike, and Diablo were all really in their stride online at that time. There's also a lot of games I really enjoyed released around here that I didn't include since I think I probably enjoy them more than other folks.

EDIT: I left off Deus Ex in 2000. I had to put it in before someone noticed and put a hit out on me.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#47SonicX56Posted 7/22/2014 6:58:26 AM
it's weird, even though I'm not a big fan of a lot of the more modern titles, this is most deff. the era of Golden PC gaming. First, unlike consoles, I can play any PC game ever released now, without having to pull out an old console. Second, most of all the decent cross-platform titles come to PC. I'd say it really started that trend in 2005, with the 360. I was recently looking at my backlog of 360 titles, and just decided to sell it and play them all on PC. Mass Effect is a prime example.
#48Froyo101Posted 7/22/2014 7:03:05 AM
1996-2006. Source engine games (half life 2, cs source, etc.), original battlefield, original wwii cod, oblivion, starcraft, warcraft, world of warcraft, diablo, fallout 1 and 2, wwii medal of honor, quake iii, marathon (the old pc/mac games from bungie, if anyone was wondering), shadow warrior, doom ii (although this did come out a bit before 1996 iirc), halo combat evolved/halo custom edition(halo custom edition was a modding suite for halo combat evolved for those that aren't familiar with the halo pc games), total war, baldur's gate, all of those early 2000s star wars games (republic commando, empire at war, kotor, battlefront, etc.), deus ex, cs 1.6, cs condition zero, half life 1, tf classic, morrowind, tribes, civilization 2-4, all those dnd infinity engine games (yeah I know I already included baldur's gate separately but I just remembered it was part of an engine that had a bunch more good games on it), nexuiz (the original one, not the xbla and steam remake), everquest, goldeneye source (a remake of goldeneye 64s multiplayer in the source engine which I think first released in ~2006), hitman, rainbow six, splinter cell, I think the original metal gear solid had a pc release, ghost recon, and a ton other that I can't think of right now. I only have a laptop to play pc games on (other than that I'm a console gamer), but it can play all of these games and I love them, especially with the fact that you can mod a bunch of these already great games to be even betterl
---
If a game is truly fun, you should be able to enjoy it even if it doesn't have stat tracking, achievements, good graphics, or a ranking system.
#49Froyo101Posted 7/22/2014 7:05:10 AM
SonicX56 posted...
it's weird, even though I'm not a big fan of a lot of the more modern titles, this is most deff. the era of Golden PC gaming. First, unlike consoles, I can play any PC game ever released now, without having to pull out an old console. Second, most of all the decent cross-platform titles come to PC. I'd say it really started that trend in 2005, with the 360. I was recently looking at my backlog of 360 titles, and just decided to sell it and play them all on PC. Mass Effect is a prime example.

I think tc meant what was the time in which the best games were released. By your logic, pretty much everyone would have to say that the current era is the best b/c we can still play our old games.
---
If a game is truly fun, you should be able to enjoy it even if it doesn't have stat tracking, achievements, good graphics, or a ranking system.
#50ThePylonPosted 7/22/2014 7:40:04 AM
There is no golden age, we have lulls then a renaissance. It will be this way as long as tech keeps advancing. In 10 years there will be people saying now is a golden age of gaming (the age of the indie developer) and in 20 years they will say in 10 years was the golden age.
This is not console gaming, where developers now have to appease the masses with every release (and even more masses same time next year).
---
I play too many different games to even care.