This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the Golden Age of PC Gaming?

#71rainmcmanisPosted 7/22/2014 9:52:07 AM
This thread mostly is going to coincide with respondent age.

That being said, for me the golden age started around 94ish with the great Sierra point and clicks and really it is still going. I don't think there was ever a lull for me with great and interesting games.
#72FoxigonPosted 7/22/2014 10:29:19 AM
PC gaming is always in a golden age. You can always play your favorite old games without breaking in to a storage locker.
---
http://www.twitter.com/Foxigon -- http://www.youtube.com/FoxigonGaming
Unbiased and honest opinions about video games and the gaming industry.
#73RPGMattPosted 7/22/2014 10:31:30 AM
If you think this is a golden age for gaming, PC or otherwise, you're f***ing delusional.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#74ClashtonnPosted 7/22/2014 10:35:55 AM
RPGMatt posted...
If you think this is a golden age for gaming, PC or otherwise, you're f***ing delusional.

Yeah only those blinded by nostalgia have a sound mind.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#75RagnawindPosted 7/22/2014 10:38:36 AM
The 90s and that is it, Not really interested in many exclusives after that period
#76Bossdog421Posted 7/22/2014 10:39:28 AM
Easily 1993 - 2004

Doom, Quake, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Bullfrog Productions, and Halflife just to name a few.

Those were the days...
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#77DexterTheThirdPosted 7/22/2014 10:46:32 AM
In terms of creativity and new IP, I'd have to say around the mid-nineties, with great point & clicks, MMOs, and competitive multiplayer shooters finally getting the technology they needed to work effectively.

But I'd actually say now is the true golden age: high-end computers are more affordable than ever and competitive game pricing + easy methods of running old games makes PC gaming accessible to anyone. You can play all the retro PC titles you want!
---
Formerly known as Hero Fly Chao. 3DS FC - 0087 2307 1826
"Dex I love you but sometimes you make me wanna vomit" - vidgameking84
#78ThePylonPosted 7/22/2014 10:55:14 AM(edited)
Froyo101 posted...
ThePylon posted...
There is no golden age, we have lulls then a renaissance. It will be this way as long as tech keeps advancing. In 10 years there will be people saying now is a golden age of gaming (the age of the indie developer) and in 20 years they will say in 10 years was the golden age.
This is not console gaming, where developers now have to appease the masses with every release (and even more masses same time next year).

Even though I think 96-06 is the best, I have to admit what you said is true. PC gaming keeps evolving and 10 years from now I'll probably be able to rattle off a list of the best games from 2006-2016 and why they were so great and helped to advance the industry. Heck, I can already think of a few. Oblivion, starcraft ii, diablo iii, guild wars 2, lol, dota 2, rust, dayz, arma 2-3, mount and blade warband, fallout 3/nv, skyrim, minecraft, tf2, rainbow six vegas, splinter cell blacklist, l4d, lotr conquest, and a bunch of others.

I don't think I could possibly agree with you more lol, I literally feel the same way. If I was asked even a a year and a half ago I would have probably said the 96-06 decade, it was amazing.
I think now it is easier to see what the future will bring to the platform and is much easier to be excited for it.
Like I fired up Elite Dangerous for the first time after having backed it a while ago...... holy mother of god what an amazing piece of software. Seeing that makes me giddy for when Im grey and Elite: Geriatric comes out.
---
I play too many different games to even care.
#79WilliamGeesdorfPosted 7/22/2014 11:00:24 AM
From SNES/Genesis to PS2/Xbox/GameCube.
#80RadarPosted 7/22/2014 11:02:42 AM
2020's. You'll see. It will blow your mind out your ear holes. The indie people will have taken over and every game will be 2D and pixel sprites, with some heavyhanded but not well developed plot.
---
{missing_var_sig}