This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the Golden Age of PC Gaming?

#81invisiblezeroPosted 7/22/2014 12:05:22 PM
All time.
#82snkboiPosted 7/22/2014 12:07:42 PM
quake 3, unreal tournament 1999
unreal tournament 2k4, half life 2, doom 3 2004
crysis 2007

pc was defined and pushed to it's limits by fps
---
i think it's nice
#83JKatarnPosted 7/22/2014 1:42:01 PM
I've been gaming for 25 years now and there have always been a few truly great games and plenty of "me too" good to mediocre titles. The difference is, now, gaming has grown larger over the years, has gone more mainstream, and there's less new ground to tread.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#84AnimorganimatePosted 7/22/2014 3:04:38 PM
I'm not concerned with some arbitrary Golden Age. PC gaming is alive and well, and that's all that matters. There's been peaks and valleys along the way, but PC gaming continues to persevere. I can find a plethora of amazing games from every "generation" of PC gaming. The day our preferred platform dies (which obviously won't happen for many millennia) will be the day for such reflection.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#85DC07301981Posted 7/22/2014 3:14:29 PM
PC gaming is in an awesome era right now, but IMO it's filled with games not worth playing. You really have to look through the titles and see what they offer. I'm not big on indie titles, I do own a few though, but only bought them after researching them thoroughly. Most of the games I play are from the 90's to mid 2000's era.

I think PC gaming is really going to go through a revolution in the next few years, and will become a preferred platform for gaming on for a new generation of gamers.
#86DawnshadowPosted 7/22/2014 5:53:59 PM
"There is a lot of crap releasing these days, but there is also still a lot of good stuff too."

Was there ever a time when there wasn't a lot of crap being released? The past seems to have less crap because we're forgotten it, not because it didn't exist.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#87MarceloSampaioPosted 7/22/2014 7:50:41 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
"There is a lot of crap releasing these days, but there is also still a lot of good stuff too."

Was there ever a time when there wasn't a lot of crap being released? The past seems to have less crap because we're forgotten it, not because it didn't exist.

Indeed. Remember when Wolfenstein and Doom where released? We also got hings like The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki, Depth Duellers, Isle of Dead and Corridor 7?

People remember Wolfenstein and Doom, but forgot about those bombs. :p
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#88TimePharaohPosted 7/22/2014 7:52:45 PM
Clashtonn posted...
RPGMatt posted...
If you think this is a golden age for gaming, PC or otherwise, you're f***ing delusional.

Yeah only those blinded by nostalgia have a sound mind.

Hard to pull out the "omgtehnostalgia" when a vast quantity of games today....are sequels with dumbed down mechanics "from back then". You're literally playing the same game, just worse.

I'm sorry you're too young to know better.
#89MasterTurtlePosted 7/22/2014 9:48:54 PM
Actually it's pretty easy since a lot of the games that people cry about being dumbed down are usually obtuse and clunky.
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?
#90kobalobasileusPosted 7/22/2014 10:10:00 PM
MasterTurtle posted...
Right now.

This. PC finally has a huge variety of really good games instead of a small variety of crap focused almost entirely around FPS and RTS.