This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the Golden Age of PC Gaming?

#91FenriswolfPosted 7/23/2014 3:15:44 AM
MasterTurtle posted...
Right now.

LMAO, considering that as right of now PC gaming is basically dead with excessive DRM, DLCs, and console ports thanks to Steam opening the floodgates, so developers simply create dumbed down games for the 360 and port it to Steam with minimal effort. Steam ruined PC gaming.
---
Hello
#92NingishzidaPosted 7/23/2014 3:41:49 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Clashtonn posted...
RPGMatt posted...
If you think this is a golden age for gaming, PC or otherwise, you're f***ing delusional.

Yeah only those blinded by nostalgia have a sound mind.

Hard to pull out the "omgtehnostalgia" when a vast quantity of games today....are sequels with dumbed down mechanics "from back then". You're literally playing the same game, just worse.

I'm sorry you're too young to know better.

oh but teh garfix!
#93ClashtonnPosted 7/23/2014 3:44:50 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Clashtonn posted...
RPGMatt posted...
If you think this is a golden age for gaming, PC or otherwise, you're f***ing delusional.

Hard to pull out the "omgtehnostalgia" when a vast quantity of games today....are sequels with dumbed down mechanics "from back then". You're literally playing the same game, just worse.

No.

There was always a lot of bad gams. You just don't remember the sea of bad games from a decade ago, just the good ones. In 10 years you'll remember ther great games from now and forget about the terrible ones and be talking about how much better it used to be.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#94TimePharaohPosted 7/23/2014 4:07:05 AM
Clashtonn posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Clashtonn posted...
RPGMatt posted...

No.

There was always a lot of bad gams. You just don't remember the sea of bad games from a decade ago, just the good ones. In 10 years you'll remember ther great games from now and forget about the terrible ones and be talking about how much better it used to be.

Ok? Pretty sure I didn't say or imply anywhere that bad games suddenly started existing? Literally irrelevant to my post.
#95FenriswolfPosted 7/23/2014 4:14:20 AM
Clashtonn posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Clashtonn posted...
RPGMatt posted...

No.

I do remember the D tier crap from the late 90s, but what's important here is that most of them were developed for PC first. Even Daikatana had dedicated server and mod support, something the CODs and Battlefields today struggle to maintain.
---
Hello
#96BIastPosted 7/23/2014 9:26:14 AM
Right now!

Everything can be easily played with a M/KB or a gamepad without major stress.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#97fatboy44Posted 7/23/2014 9:40:56 AM
Bossdog421 posted...
Easily 1993 - 2004

Doom, Quake, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Bullfrog Productions, and Halflife just to name a few.

Those were the days...

I was gonna say something like this. For me it started with my Voodoo2 8mb, sometime when C&C Tiberium Dawn came out, up until about 2008. I enjoyed the days when the 8800GT reigned supreme as well. We've come along way. I don't feel any connection to any game really that's come out in the last 4 years or so. Maybe Its because gaming in general is less of a hobby for me.
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#98BiglabronPosted 7/23/2014 12:40:48 PM
mid 90's-2006ish is the golden age for people.

However in terms of popularity and population gain "now" is golden.
---
I don't always lose, but when I do it's purple sideu!!!
#99DawnshadowPosted 7/23/2014 10:59:46 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Funny thing is that if Consoles didn't exist. Games would look 2-3x better than what they do now. Consoles are stopping the advancement on hardware. Simply because there's no need or reason to go much further in advancement when consoles are so outdated.

This isn't entirely a bad thing, for two reasons.

First, it lowers the barrier to entry-- you can max settings on all but the most demanding games on a $700 PC, and almost all games run tolerably well even on integrated graphics.

Secondly, graphics are expensive. Better quality graphics take longer to make, which increases game budgets drastically, which means that making a game is a larger investment. This is actually the main reason why AAAs have been going downhill-- they typically have to sell several million copies at $60 a pop to break even, which forces them to cater to the largest audience possible and avoid risks. One bad flop can break a company. (Indies aren't expected to have the same level of graphics, so they can experiment more.)
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#100nightshadeAPosted 7/23/2014 11:28:51 PM
from the 486 era to about pentium 2 era for ibm compats

but the c64 is still my fav personally
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid