This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good, hassle-free mod(s) for Shadow of Chernobyl?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/22/2014 12:25:50 AM
I want to play through Shadow of Chernobyl again and I know mods always get recommend cause there are some problems with the vanilla release.

I'm kinda burnt out on modding right now and from memory the STALKER series is a bit more confusing to mod than games like New Vegas so I don't want to install very much.

So what are some good mods that fix the bugs, clean up the gameplay a bit, and make the game look better? I was thinking the Complete Mod since it does everything I want but I know some people don't like its changes.
---
Steam: Sydite
#2Lemur_HPosted 7/22/2014 12:33:28 AM
Complete. It installs itself for you.
#3NingishzidaPosted 7/22/2014 12:33:41 AM
Don't install Complete, install these instead:

ZRP = bugfixes and tweaks
Absolute Nature + Absolute Structures = visual upgrade maintaining authenticity

Complete isn't up-to-date in bugfixes, introduces bugs of it's own, modifies game-play unnecessarily and the visual overhaul doesn't do STALKER and The Zone justice.
#4TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 12:50:04 AM
Ningishzida posted...
Don't install Complete, install these instead:

ZRP = bugfixes and tweaks
Absolute Nature + Absolute Structures = visual upgrade maintaining authenticity

Complete isn't up-to-date in bugfixes, introduces bugs of it's own, modifies game-play unnecessarily and the visual overhaul doesn't do STALKER and The Zone justice.

All right, thanks.

Haven't you recommended OGSE before? I was thinking about that but I'm not entirely sure if it's what I'm after. Two questions: Should I save it for another playthrough? And what's the compatibility like with ZRP and graphics mods?
---
Steam: Sydite
#5wentzelotPosted 7/22/2014 8:37:09 AM
complete
#6matu90rkPosted 7/22/2014 8:49:38 AM
Autumn Aurora 2.
#7mycousinvinniePosted 7/22/2014 8:50:06 AM
zrp don't go complete, complete makes the game handholding
#8NingishzidaPosted 7/22/2014 3:35:42 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Haven't you recommended OGSE before? I was thinking about that but I'm not entirely sure if it's what I'm after. Two questions: Should I save it for another playthrough? And what's the compatibility like with ZRP and graphics mods?

OGSE is awesome, but you have to spend time installing it, setting it up properly, and it isn't exactly easy to play unless you configure it to be, which requires alot of knowledge of the game. It's best to play ZRP+Absolute mix for a time, tweak ZRP to how you like it, that way you won't be jumping into the deep end with OGSE, it's ****ing hard compared to vanilla STALKER, believe me.

ZRP doesn't work with OGSE, the latter fixes it's own bugs. Absolute structures/textures could be merged, I guess, but they recommend the Russian argus-textures, which look fine to me.
#9x_stevey_xPosted 7/22/2014 3:36:04 PM
Complete.
#10NingishzidaPosted 7/22/2014 4:08:06 PM
I should probably explain why OGSE isn't a cakewalk, I'll mark this as spoilers but they really just explain what you're in for, just a few teething problems, so you might wanna read them anyway.

It seems I'm back on Warned status too, for alluding to someone as a peasant by using a farming joke, so this'll probably be my last post for the day.

basically, trying to start off in the game can be like hitting a brick wall, you don't even have a weapon, not even a knife (can't bash open crates), all you have is a bolt and binocs. The first loner camp is hostile to you, you have to read the dialogue to win their trust, first. If you walk in there like in vanilla, they just blow you away. The first quest to win their trust isn't exactly easy, the guy you have to save might have a hostile chopper circling overhead, you have to hide in a bunker until it flies off. Once you've done that, you should finally get a combat knife and maybe a shotgun with no ammo, at which point you're doing the first artifact quest for Sid which involves mutant enemies. So yeah, these are teething problems that can turn people off OGSE.

Also, the number, lethality and bio-diversity of the a-life is insane, they move like lightning and are tanks. I shot a mutant dog in the head with a perfect condition SVU (7.62mm) from 50 meter range, it just kept coming at me, and dogs are lowest tier. Grenades thrown by mercs have huge AoE and do monster dmg, if they don't kill you outright expect $60,000 dmg done to your exosuit. Turrets in the first military base have insane RoF and always hit bull's eye. Soldiers are crackshots. And so on.

The great thing is that if you put in the hard yards and transmute the artifacts wisely, then you can almost get mastery over the Zone, which gives a great feeling of accomplishment. But even when you're decked out in the best gear, you still have to show a certain healthy respect for the a-life, mainly because even with the dmg reduction, the fact there's just so much of it out there can eat through you pretty fast.