This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

my Brother's PC cannot connect to the internet after thunderstorm >__>

#1apollooooPosted 7/22/2014 3:52:51 AM
i know this sounds weird as hell but it is true.

so around 5 days ago there was a huge rain here, and a huge thunder struck on somewhere near. it produced a loud bang and my brother's PC turned on by itself. after that it wouldn't connect to the intetnet and the computer says the driver are not installed. so i installed the LAN driver of the motherboard, but it still won't connect until now.

i dunno what happened, but probably the lightning broke something. weird thing is everythign aside from that is fine.
---
http://i.imgur.com/1gwjw39.png
Thanks nayr for the nice pic <3. If i make typos it means i am on my touchsreen phone.
#2TimePharaohPosted 7/22/2014 3:55:39 AM
Ghosts
#3apolloooo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 3:58:14 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Ghosts

nah, i don't believe in ghosts.

i dunno what the thunder struck but somehow it broke something inside.

i'll try buy a USB wi-fi adapter tomorrow and see if it'll work
---
Thanks nayr for the nice pic <3. If i make typos it means i am on my touchsreen phone.
#4LordSeiferPosted 7/22/2014 3:58:31 AM
its not really that weird.

ethernet loves to get blown from lightning, router ports go at the drop of a hat.
sounds like he needs a new NIC, you can get one for 15 or less
---
^ this
#5TimePharaohPosted 7/22/2014 4:01:25 AM
apolloooo posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Ghosts

nah, i don't believe in ghosts.

But they believe in you

gg his haunted computer
#6apolloooo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 4:03:01 AM(edited)
oh, well thanks. let's what's cheaper a new ethernet card or USB wi fi adapter.
---
#7KURRUPTORPosted 7/22/2014 5:49:23 AM
Is that the only PC in the house? Can other devices connect to the internet?

I only ask because it might have fried his router or maybe just his ethernet port. Could try a pci ethernet card if he wants to stay hard-wired. But I would figure out if it's the router/modem that got fried before you spend money on that.

My parents house recently went through a thunderstorm and somehow electricity surged through their entire network. It fried every single motherboard that was hard-wired into the network (5 motherboards completely shot). I had never heard of it before but yeah it does happen fairly often it seems. I unplug my ethernet during sever thunderstorms now, I think the issue is that ethernet cords just don't have any stops along thm with surge protection... unlike most houses electrical wiring and plugs that will have several buffer spots with surge protection along the way before an electrical surge from lightning will actually fry something.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#8lost_withinPosted 7/22/2014 6:57:40 AM(edited)
These stories remind me why I go through the trouble of making sure my computer is turned off and unplugged when I am not using it during the spring...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#9SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 7:04:32 AM(edited)
You've probably blown the nic.
You can get a cheap PCI card NIC and replace it.

Normally I don't worry about the NIC. The odds of that happening are slim. As long as you have your computer and router on a power bar and turn the power bar off during a storm you should be safe.

The most common damage I see is when you get those quick blackouts where the lights turn off and on quick enough that the computer doesn't turn off or only half turns off. You want to avoid those surges and instead just turn the computer off and unplug it.
You need to actually unplug it (or turn off the power bar switch) so the power supply and motherboard don't keep powering up and down on each surge.

Whatever happened to those power bars that turned themselves off when there was no longer a draw on them?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10MasterFenix95Posted 7/24/2014 6:34:05 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Ghosts

When it's not Ghosts, it's Aliens.
---
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two negatives do make a positive.