This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Windows start menu replacement?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Windows start menu replacement?
1 year ago#1
I just got a convertible with windows 8 and I already hate it. It's not so bad when I use it as a tablet but on desktop mode it's completely jarring. I don't want to get rid of metro UI completely but I don't want to default to it.
1 year ago#2
Upgrade to 8.1 update 1, you can choose to boot straight to desktop, and it adds a "start menu" which you can right click for extra options.

Also WIN+X is your friend in windows 8.
XBL: IzI TOAST IzI PSN: IzITOASTIzI 3DS: 3780-9115-5027
1 year ago#3
start menu reborn
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#4
First upgrade to 8.1 and all its updates. Then download classic shell. I boot right to desktop and never have to go to Metro UI.
1 year ago#5
+1 for classic shell
Gamer Entitlement analyst, PhD.
..I edit every post.
1 year ago#6
I would start by upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 and setting it to boot straight to desktop. Don't install third party software like Classic Shell just yet, see how you like it. There's nothing wrong with Classic Shell and the others of its kind, but I think 8.1U1 made enough improvements that Classic Shell is superfluous (although I personally was fine with 8 out of the box -- just saying).
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Windows start menu replacement?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived