This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys think desktop computers will keep being made 20 years from now?

#1MeterPosted 7/22/2014 7:06:31 AM
WIth how computer hardware manufacturers desktop components are performing I don't know... Seems like everything is switching to mobile and laptops
#2ChetyrePosted 7/22/2014 7:09:29 AM(edited)
Of course they will. Heavy office work will always require, or at the very least highly benefit from, workstations.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 7:09:18 AM
My crystal ball says "maybe"

Chances are there will always be a need for big horse power.

Content creators (programmers, movies, etc.) will always need lots of power so a desktop makes sense.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4ClashtonnPosted 7/22/2014 7:10:21 AM
Premade desktops? No.

But parts for self-built machines are selling better than ever. Desktops will still exist, but only because people will keep building their own.

And then I guess things like steam machines will still be made. So I guess premade gaming rigs wont die just yet. Though as it becomes less and less uncommon for people to build their own, they should fade out a bit too.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#5SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 7:12:53 AM(edited)
Clashtonn posted...
Premade desktops? No.

But parts for self-built machines are selling better than ever. Desktops will still exist, but only because people will keep building their own.

And then I guess things like steam machines will still be made. So I guess premade gaming rigs wont die just yet. Though as it becomes less and less uncommon for people to build their own, they should fade out a bit too.

I expected the modular PC like these http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/razor-christine-windows.jpg to be the next evolution.
But that would probably require everyone to use Linux. I don't know of any other OS that lets you freely change hardware whenever you want and keep running the same OS install.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6dunkisPosted 7/22/2014 7:13:51 AM
Everything scales. Tablets and laptops will become more powerful, but desktops will still be even more powerful yet, and game developers like to use (sometimes sloppily) all the power they can. We still rely on transistors. Heat is still generated with power use, and a laptop and especially a tablet still can't properly cool themselves to reach the performance of a desktop. Now, will technology have evolved enough in 20 years that we use, say, optical computing? Who knows. If that were the case, then it'd actually be the smaller the better. It'd be nice to finally take a gaming rig on the go with little hassle.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#7GunmaN1905Posted 7/22/2014 7:39:48 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Clashtonn posted...
Premade desktops? No.

I expected the modular PC like these http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/razor-christine-windows.jpg to be the next evolution.
But that would probably require everyone to use Linux. I don't know of any other OS that lets you freely change hardware whenever you want and keep running the same OS install.

Imo, linux would have already taken over if all games supported it. Anyone with basic computer knowledge and a bit of brain can easily see how superior linux is.

I really can't predict anything because technology in the past 20 years is growing like exponentionally so it may either slow down or accelerate even faster because of some big breakthrough.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 7:46:52 AM
GunmaN1905 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Clashtonn posted...
Premade desktops? No.

Imo, linux would have already taken over if all games supported it. Anyone with basic computer knowledge and a bit of brain can easily see how superior linux is.

I really can't predict anything because technology in the past 20 years is growing like exponentionally so it may either slow down or accelerate even faster because of some big breakthrough.

Linux superiority is such a mixed bag right now.
If we ignore the lack of games for a moment. Hardware support just isn't there. General "stupid user" support isn't there either. And the system can be a bit fragile. It doesn't take much to accidentally wreck your X or make the system unusable to your average "stupid user". I find WINE regularly screws up the desktop rendering requiring a reboot when you try to run older games like Red Alert. I've also had it after closing a game just forget what resolution and refresh rates my monitor is capable of, requiring a restart to fix it.
This sort of fragility was common in Windows 9x, but has been pretty much abolished in Windows NT (2000) and newer.
Technically the Linux core runs fine, but its the bits around it that need work.
---
#9GunmaN1905Posted 7/22/2014 7:56:51 AM
Well, you're right about average users.
But if linux ever gets proper support by hardware manufacturers and software developers I'm pretty sure all those stupid little bugs would be gone in no time.
#10SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 8:22:02 AM
GunmaN1905 posted...
Well, you're right about average users.
But if linux ever gets proper support by hardware manufacturers and software developers I'm pretty sure all those stupid little bugs would be gone in no time.

Oh definitely that would fix those issues. We can only hope commercial software makes it's way to Linux..
---