This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys think desktop computers will keep being made 20 years from now?

#11Born LuckyPosted 7/22/2014 8:50:19 AM
Heh . . . tablets replacing desktops in hospitals, offices, and gamers homes.

Yeahhhhhh . . . that's not gonna happen.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#12Digital StormPosted 7/22/2014 9:00:02 AM
I don't see desktops going away nor do I see "Linux" ever being the dominant platform reigning supreme over Windows.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#13DC07301981Posted 7/22/2014 9:28:37 AM
I think we are at the point in time now where some form of personal computer or workstation won't go away. They are nearly essential in every aspect of work and school. I think that there are very few industries that are still common today don't use computers.

My previous job when I worked in the medical department of a prison relied heavily on electronic medical records and digital information. My new job that I just got requires everything to be done online. New employee registration, background check, training modules, etc. Everything had to be done by computer. I couldn't use my phone to fill out the info, it had to be done on a computer. I didn't fill out a single piece of paper during orientation, it was all electronic.

I think the personal computer will evolve heavily in the next decade, but I do not think they will ever go away at this point. We have become accustomed to having information on tap and instant access to whatever we need and to take that away would be a step backwards.
#14TitanStrikePosted 7/22/2014 10:07:08 AM
DC07301981 posted...
I think we are at the point in time now where some form of personal computer or workstation won't go away. They are nearly essential in every aspect of work and school. I think that there are very few industries that are still common today don't use computers.

My previous job when I worked in the medical department of a prison relied heavily on electronic medical records and digital information. My new job that I just got requires everything to be done online. New employee registration, background check, training modules, etc. Everything had to be done by computer. I couldn't use my phone to fill out the info, it had to be done on a computer. I didn't fill out a single piece of paper during orientation, it was all electronic.

I think the personal computer will evolve heavily in the next decade, but I do not think they will ever go away at this point. We have become accustomed to having information on tap and instant access to whatever we need and to take that away would be a step backwards.

That's not what he was saying at all. He meant the desktop PC, not computers in general.

I think we will see even more tablets everywhere but stuff will stay.
---
oxxxx|==============> || halomonkey1_3_5 (El Pika) said... exec poop
MC, Steam ID, most other IGN's: KITTYONFYRE
#15Hi CPosted 7/22/2014 10:17:04 AM
Brand PC's on decline. Actual hardware increasing.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-21-5bn-twice-that-of-console-market/0135289

The weakness of mobile is they will reach their limit faster than the desktop market will. Desktops can use a myriad of cooling solutions regardless of whether it's full ATX or a Mini ITX crammed in a lunchbox.

Tablets and phones have to stay cool and use ridiculously limited power. Eventually it just won't be possible to contain them in a couple of millimeters of plastic.
#16Orestes417Posted 7/22/2014 10:22:16 AM
People who think "linux" will ever take over the desktop don't understand the ecosystem. Specific distros may gain in popularity but you're never going to see any command the market share MS currently does. That's part of the point of the GPL existing. Basically if we see another dominant player to the point of virtually owning the market it'll either be a new system entirely or BSD based like Apple did.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#17-pharells-hat1Posted 7/22/2014 10:25:23 AM
uh yes?
#18BogePosted 7/22/2014 10:25:33 AM
20 years....hmmm. My crystal ball is fuzzy on that one, so I'll guess this time.

I can see it becoming more difficult to build your own machine. I see that being more for businesses and work stations. The home user will migrate to tablets and other smaller devices. In 20 years, the demand for better graphics will have diminished due to the plateau in graphical advancement. The difference between what a tablet will offer compared to more expensive hardware will not be enough to justify the cost. In turn, development will be towards these tablets and you won't have much choice otherwise.

So, no. The desktop of today, the gaming PC of today as we know it will no longer be.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#19kobalobasileusPosted 7/24/2014 11:16:05 AM
Yes.

40-year-old office workers will still be short of retirement age, so they will need the familiar desktop environment to get work done. I don't foresee this type of person quickly or easily getting work done on a touchscreen smartphone.
#20clowningPosted 7/24/2014 11:27:38 AM
Yes, it'll still be around. Replacing the desktop PC is more than a matter of technology, it's a matter of cost, convenience, population psychology. While more and more office workers can bring laptops to work and dock in, laptops have less power than PCs, and are not as modable. Tablets are even weaker than laptops.

Some people will no longer need PCs in their homes or have them, opting for something like a laptop or tablet device. But there will still be power users, in homes and in various industries, that will need/want the power and modability only offered by a desktop unit.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle