This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 with touch screen and battery life

#1TimbermawPosted 7/22/2014 11:07:31 AM
Ey there, just wondering if anyone has a confirmed study somehwere about touch screen laptops getting significantly reduced battery durations compared to non touch screen equivalentes?
I have a non touch myself but the price diferente was very small, so i am wondering if a ended up making a hasty decision. Some websites point to diferences but nothing conclusive thus far; does anyone have more clear info on this?
---
Gamer Entitlement analyst, PhD.
..I edit every post.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 11:08:50 AM
Well it should in theory take a bit more power. But it shouldn't be significant.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Timbermaw(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 12:06:28 PM
The websites I mentioned referred losses of 1 hour on average, which is quite significant I think. But it could also be pro-mac propaganda with no real evidence so i'm skeptical.
I think i'll just stay with the non-touch for now, but I wonder if it would help me on circling pdf words easier, for college, if I have no mouse around (that's basically all I would use the touch screen for, lol)
---
..I edit every post.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:14:09 PM
An hour seems a bit much.
I tried searching but couldn't find much.
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+much+power+does+a+capacitive+touchscreen+use&safe=active
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5Timbermaw(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 12:40:10 PM
Yeah, I found this where the guy mentions a reduction of 5 -20% percent, and told readers to check the manufacturer's numbers - but they never mention these differences.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/buyers/a/Windows-8-Touchscreen-PCs.htm

I'll just leave it at that and think about this when the time comes to upgrade my laptop again.
---
..I edit every post.
#6SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:53:26 PM
Timbermaw posted...
Yeah, I found this where the guy mentions a reduction of 5 -20% percent, and told readers to check the manufacturer's numbers - but they never mention these differences.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/buyers/a/Windows-8-Touchscreen-PCs.htm

I'll just leave it at that and think about this when the time comes to upgrade my laptop again.

I guess you could go to the store, go to a demo laptop, unplug it and see how long it says the battery will last.
Try a few with touchscreens and a few without.
---
#7Timbermaw(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 2:39:04 PM
Hmm, good idea actually!
---
..I edit every post.