This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gamers I have a question

#21SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 11:52:53 AM(edited)
MarceloSampaio posted...
pothocket posted...
Why do people claim there's no generations of PC gaming when they know damn well how hard it can be get some old games running again, exactly because they were designed for a different generation of computers?

Well, its not hard to play old games on newer PCs if you know what you are doing. Heck, even though I have a very recent PC, I can play all my games.

Heck, considering the fact that Windows XP still plays most older Windows games, Dosbox plays all Dos games, and Windows 95 installed on a Dosbox setup runs most Win9x games that XP can't handle, one can play every PC game ever made on a newer PC without too much hassle.

Windows 7 + Windows XP + Dosbox + Windows 95 = ultimate PC with perfect backwards compatibility. ^^

You can install 95 in dosbox?
Does that give it access to 3d acceleration?
How do you improve the framerate in dosbox? I was playing destruction derby and it's struggling to get over 15fps on my i7. And yet the original game played in windows 95 on a 200mhz PC ran silky smooth.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22Pyro_YuyPosted 7/22/2014 11:52:58 AM
Yes. One game I always fall back on its vampire the masquerade bloodlines, made in 04. An even older game is age of Empires from... What 97? And starcraft in 98.
---
Lieb ohne Seele...
http://wp.me/1EBnQ
#23JonWood007Posted 7/22/2014 11:56:19 AM
Yeah, I sometimes replay older games. I'm replaying Doom 3 ROE right now.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 760 SC | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#24pothocketPosted 7/22/2014 11:56:34 AM
Darkstorm16 posted...
Ok fine man people are technical -_-; do you play any older PC games?

Yes, we play older PC games all the time. That's why your comment confused so many people, it's that common place.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#25SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 11:57:43 AM
Darkstorm16 posted...

We mostly play old games because they are just better.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26DawnshadowPosted 7/22/2014 11:57:47 AM
Darkstorm16 posted...

Yes. Not incredibly often, but yes.

My 'line' for PC gaming is typically the mid-90s (although it is a blurry and porous line.) Games older than that tend to be a bit too obtuse and primitive in terms of user interface for me to enjoy (as said it's not a hard line, just a general tendency.) They were generally made with the expectation that you would have the 250-page manual that was packed into the game box at hand to look up concepts, instead of explaining everything in-game (or having an in-game help option) the way modern games tend to due to their lack of manuals or any other sort of physical medium.

It probably has something to do with how my family got its first PC in 1997. Mid 90s games were the first PC games I was really exposed to.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#27Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 11:57:56 AM
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

Yes, we play older PC games all the time. That's why your comment confused so many people, it's that common place.

It's just I hear so many people just their number one focus is to increase their pc
---
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Currently playing: Ultima 2 (PC)/Yugioh wc 2011 (DS)
#28MarceloSampaioPosted 7/22/2014 12:01:43 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
pothocket posted...
Why do people claim there's no generations of PC gaming when they know damn well how hard it can be get some old games running again, exactly because they were designed for a different generation of computers?

Well, its not hard to play old games on newer PCs if you know what you are doing. Heck, even though I have a very recent PC, I can play all my games.

Heck, considering the fact that Windows XP still plays most older Windows games, Dosbox plays all Dos games, and Windows 95 installed on a Dosbox setup runs most Win9x games that XP can't handle, one can play every PC game ever made on a newer PC without too much hassle.

Windows 7 + Windows XP + Dosbox + Windows 95 = ultimate PC with perfect backwards compatibility. ^^

You can install 95 in dosbox?
Does that give it access to 3d acceleration?
How do you improve the framerate in dosbox? I was playing destruction derby and it's struggling to get over 15fps on my i7. And yet the original game played in windows 95 on a 200mhz PC ran silky smooth.

I haven't tried Destruction Derby, but I play games like Carmaggeddon and Lands of Lore 2 (using the Glide API, btw) on Dosbox and it runs great. Remember to use the cycles=max command, and core=dynamic on resource intensive games.

And you can INDEED install Windows 95 on Dosbox. Its not easy, but there are some guides on the Internet. And after its installed, you can just copy this setup to another machine and it will work without hassle. I don't know about 3D acceleration though. The only games I have that ONLY works on Windows 95 are games that use Software Acceleration. Most Windows games that DO require 3D acceleration actually work on Windows XP. ^^
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#29LvthnPosted 7/22/2014 12:04:05 PM
Darkstorm16 posted...
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

It's just I hear so many people just their number one focus is to increase their pc

...are you basing this on threads started by people in PCH? You realize those are threads started by people either new to building or excited about putting together a new build, so no s*** they're going to talk about how good they can afford to go, that's what you do at that stage.

The rest of us are sitting on satisfactory hardware and happily gaming, not starting threads about "oh hai gais no need for new hardware, still happily playing the same games as the rest of you."

Also some of us are just hardware enthusiasts and like that all by itself, doesn't mean we don't game like regular people as well.
#30MarceloSampaioPosted 7/22/2014 12:04:17 PM
Darkstorm16 posted...
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

I like to play old games. I LOVE them, in fact. That doesn't mean I'll NEVER play a new game. Heck, at the moment I'm actually replaying Warcraft 3, however I'm waiting for Witcher 3, and I REALLY want my PC to play it smoothly. ^^
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png