This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gamers I have a question

#31SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:09:48 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
pothocket posted...
Why do people claim there's no generations of PC gaming when they know damn well how hard it can be get some old games running again, exactly because they were designed for a different generation of computers?

Well, its not hard to play old games on newer PCs if you know what you are doing. Heck, even though I have a very recent PC, I can play all my games.

Heck, considering the fact that Windows XP still plays most older Windows games, Dosbox plays all Dos games, and Windows 95 installed on a Dosbox setup runs most Win9x games that XP can't handle, one can play every PC game ever made on a newer PC without too much hassle.

Windows 7 + Windows XP + Dosbox + Windows 95 = ultimate PC with perfect backwards compatibility. ^^

You can install 95 in dosbox?
Does that give it access to 3d acceleration?
How do you improve the framerate in dosbox? I was playing destruction derby and it's struggling to get over 15fps on my i7. And yet the original game played in windows 95 on a 200mhz PC ran silky smooth.

I haven't tried Destruction Derby, but I play games like Carmaggeddon and Lands of Lore 2 (using the Glide API, btw) on Dosbox and it runs great. Remember to use the cycles=max command, and core=dynamic on resource intensive games.

And you can INDEED install Windows 95 on Dosbox. Its not easy, but there are some guides on the Internet. And after its installed, you can just copy this setup to another machine and it will work without hassle. I don't know about 3D acceleration though. The only games I have that ONLY works on Windows 95 are games that use Software Acceleration. Most Windows games that DO require 3D acceleration actually work on Windows XP. ^^

If I do the cycles and core on destruction derby, it seems to mess up joystick input by making it randomly turn when your driving straight.
But I'll play around with it more.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#32HappyHippo04Posted 7/22/2014 12:10:11 PM
PC gaming does not have a Gen. We just have games.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#33MarceloSampaioPosted 7/22/2014 12:16:57 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
If I do the cycles and core on destruction derby, it seems to mess up joystick input by making it randomly turn when your driving straight.

Well, use the core=dynamic command anyways. As for the cycles, try using something like 100000 cycles (cycles=100000), and test it. If its still sluggish, try to raise it to 120000, try again and so on. Just go up to the point where the game is smooth, and the control is still perfect.

Some games are more troublesome to get them running. Meh, I recently played through The Pandora Directive, and I had to use a fixed cycle rate of 140000. Even a little more would make the movies less smooth, and even a little less would make the gameplay slower. :p
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#34SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:22:45 PM(edited)
MarceloSampaio posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Well, use the core=dynamic command anyways. As for the cycles, try using something like 100000 cycles (cycles=100000), and test it. If its still sluggish, try to raise it to 120000, try again and so on. Just go up to the point where the game is smooth, and the control is still perfect.

Some games are more troublesome to get them running. Meh, I recently played through The Pandora Directive, and I had to use a fixed cycle rate of 140000. Even a little more would make the movies less smooth, and even a little less would make the gameplay slower. :p

I just put that in the config right?
Or is that an actual command I have to run at launch? I have my config set up to auto launch the game when dosbox launches so it works in steam big picture mode.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35JKatarnPosted 7/22/2014 12:45:04 PM
Darkstorm16 posted...
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...
Ok fine man people are technical -_-; do you play any older PC games?

Yes, we play older PC games all the time. That's why your comment confused so many people, it's that common place.

It's just I hear so many people just their number one focus is to increase their pc

Well, you are in the PC Hardware forum, so there's going to be talk about upgrades/performance etc, what did you expect? If people here didn't care about visuals/performance/customization etc. they'd stick with consoles.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#36SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:50:59 PM
JKatarn posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

Yes, we play older PC games all the time. That's why your comment confused so many people, it's that common place.

It's just I hear so many people just their number one focus is to increase their pc

Well, you are in the PC Hardware forum, so there's going to be talk about upgrades/performance etc, what did you expect? If people here didn't care about visuals/performance/customization etc. they'd stick with consoles.

They'd still buy PC for the superior exclusives.
---
#37JKatarnPosted 7/22/2014 12:53:38 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
JKatarn posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...
pothocket posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

They'd still buy PC for the superior exclusives.

That's highly subjective, if you don't care about MOBAs, RTS or MMOs at all (and I imagine much of the console userbase doesn't), there would be little/nothing exclusive to the PC to interest you. Of course if you love those genres, you'd want a PC.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#38SinisterSlayPosted 7/22/2014 12:55:34 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...

That's highly subjective, if you don't care about MOBAs, RTS or MMOs at all (and I imagine much of the console userbase doesn't), there would be little/nothing exclusive to the PC to interest you. Of course if you love those genres, you'd want a PC.

Mount & Blade Warband.....
Stop forgetting the best game ever made.

Sandbox games (true sandbox, not skyrim sandbox) is exclusive to PC.

And my PC is so pathetic it can't even run that free sunrider game properly, but I still PC game on it because it can play Warband, it can play skyrim, it can play civ 5.
---
#39Edavy89Posted 7/22/2014 1:46:59 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
lol if people actually played games from older gens you'd think there would be a site dedicated to selling all them good old games lol

lol

I got $250 for a used copy of PSO 1&2+
#40Freelance_WolfPosted 7/22/2014 2:29:41 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...

How wrong you are. There are thousands of exclusives on PC, although they're mainly older games. Take a look at GoG's website. Over 90% of those games (rough estimate) are exclusive to PCs, none of which are MMOs and MOBAs. PC games encompass a huge variety of genres, like racing, arcade, FPS, RPGs, etc. There are some genres which thrive on PC and doesn't fit well on consoles due to lack of a mouse, like point and click adventure games and simulation/strategy games (ie 4x games, turn based strategy, SimCity, etc). They're a dime a dozen on PC, and barely any gets ported to consoles.

Console gamers (not saying you are one though) are always saying the PC 'has no exclusives,' but that's a very ignorant thing to say. There are a lot of exclusives on consoles AND PCs.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."