This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Enable multi thread?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Enable multi thread?
1 year ago#1
I use an amd fx-6300 with the catalyst control center, I haven't changed any settings on it. Should I download ATI tray tools and enable multi thread or is this done automatically anyway?
1 year ago#2
What? Multi-threading is something that applications use to essentially address more than one core on a CPU.

The only kind of control over this would be on CPUs that use Hyperthreading; which can be turned on/off. To my knowledge AMD CPUs don't have hyperthreading.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
1 year ago#3
Clouddx posted...
What? Multi-threading is something that applications use to essentially address more than one core on a CPU.

Well I don't really know what I'm talking about so I'm taking a stab in the dark, my friend is using an nvidia card and on his control panel he has something called "Threaded Optimization" which allows application to use multiple cores. Would I need something like this or is it done automatically and the application just gives him the freedom to change it?

*I think amd calls it multithreading
1 year ago#4
Okay, that option is for use with multiple CPUs... So unless you actually have a Dual CPU Mobo and 2 Physical CPUs it wouldn't do anything.

Multi-threaded application just means the game/application can make use of more than one of the cores on a CPU, this is for the most part done automatically on games(other than games that use the Source Engine, i.e. L4D/CS:GO/CS:S).
---
1 year ago#5
Clouddx posted...
Okay, that option is for use with multiple CPUs... So unless you actually have a Dual CPU Mobo and 2 Physical CPUs it wouldn't do anything.

lol okay, thanks for the help.
1 year ago#6
The "Threaded Optimization" setting in the Nvidia Control Panel also applies to multi-core CPUs. I'm pretty sure the default setting is to automatically turn multi-threaded compatibility on or off. The setting is more for troubleshooting where you can manually disable it for older games that have compatibility issues with multi-threaded systems such as multi-core CPUs.

I'm sure AMD has a similar setting for their video cards and I would expect that to be automatically managed so that it's on a game supports multi-threading and off when it doesn't. You shouldn't need to mess around with any multi-threaded settings unless you're running into problems with a specific game.
1 year ago#7
El Magnifico posted...
The "Threaded Optimization" setting in the Nvidia Control Panel also applies to multi-core CPUs. I'm pretty sure the default setting is to automatically turn multi-threaded compatibility on or off. The setting is more for troubleshooting where you can manually disable it for older games that have compatibility issues with multi-threaded systems such as multi-core CPUs.

I'm sure AMD has a similar setting for their video cards and I would expect that to be automatically managed so that it's on a game supports multi-threading and off when it doesn't. You shouldn't need to mess around with any multi-threaded settings unless you're running into problems with a specific game.

I'm just having FPS issues with almost every game I play at the moment, its just hard to tell if I should expect it on my computer or if something is wrong.
1 year ago#8
Mrtyu posted...
El Magnifico posted...

I'm just having FPS issues with almost every game I play at the moment, its just hard to tell if I should expect it on my computer or if something is wrong.

Complete system specs always help.
---
1 year ago#9
How long have you had your PC and since when did it start having performance issues?
Have you monitored the temperatures under load?
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
1 year ago#10
Specs:
4GB RAM,
M5A97 LE R20 motherboard,
AMD r9 270,
FX-6300,
XFX 550watt PSU,
Windows 8.1.

My temps are actually quite low for most of the games I play, the cpu will go into 40-50 degrees while the highest the gpu will go is 60 degrees. I don't quite understand how the usage works but I've found that while the FPS is dipping that my gpu and cpu usage isn't even at 100% so is my hardware not being fully utilised or is my hardware weaker than I thought?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Enable multi thread?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived