This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Enable multi thread?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Enable multi thread?
2 years ago#1
I use an amd fx-6300 with the catalyst control center, I haven't changed any settings on it. Should I download ATI tray tools and enable multi thread or is this done automatically anyway?
2 years ago#2
What? Multi-threading is something that applications use to essentially address more than one core on a CPU.

The only kind of control over this would be on CPUs that use Hyperthreading; which can be turned on/off. To my knowledge AMD CPUs don't have hyperthreading.
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
2 years ago#3
Clouddx posted...
What? Multi-threading is something that applications use to essentially address more than one core on a CPU.

Well I don't really know what I'm talking about so I'm taking a stab in the dark, my friend is using an nvidia card and on his control panel he has something called "Threaded Optimization" which allows application to use multiple cores. Would I need something like this or is it done automatically and the application just gives him the freedom to change it?

*I think amd calls it multithreading
2 years ago#4
Okay, that option is for use with multiple CPUs... So unless you actually have a Dual CPU Mobo and 2 Physical CPUs it wouldn't do anything.

Multi-threaded application just means the game/application can make use of more than one of the cores on a CPU, this is for the most part done automatically on games(other than games that use the Source Engine, i.e. L4D/CS:GO/CS:S).
2 years ago#5
Clouddx posted...
Okay, that option is for use with multiple CPUs... So unless you actually have a Dual CPU Mobo and 2 Physical CPUs it wouldn't do anything.

lol okay, thanks for the help.
2 years ago#6
The "Threaded Optimization" setting in the Nvidia Control Panel also applies to multi-core CPUs. I'm pretty sure the default setting is to automatically turn multi-threaded compatibility on or off. The setting is more for troubleshooting where you can manually disable it for older games that have compatibility issues with multi-threaded systems such as multi-core CPUs.

I'm sure AMD has a similar setting for their video cards and I would expect that to be automatically managed so that it's on a game supports multi-threading and off when it doesn't. You shouldn't need to mess around with any multi-threaded settings unless you're running into problems with a specific game.
2 years ago#7
El Magnifico posted...
The "Threaded Optimization" setting in the Nvidia Control Panel also applies to multi-core CPUs. I'm pretty sure the default setting is to automatically turn multi-threaded compatibility on or off. The setting is more for troubleshooting where you can manually disable it for older games that have compatibility issues with multi-threaded systems such as multi-core CPUs.

I'm sure AMD has a similar setting for their video cards and I would expect that to be automatically managed so that it's on a game supports multi-threading and off when it doesn't. You shouldn't need to mess around with any multi-threaded settings unless you're running into problems with a specific game.

I'm just having FPS issues with almost every game I play at the moment, its just hard to tell if I should expect it on my computer or if something is wrong.
2 years ago#8
Mrtyu posted...
El Magnifico posted...

I'm just having FPS issues with almost every game I play at the moment, its just hard to tell if I should expect it on my computer or if something is wrong.

Complete system specs always help.
2 years ago#9
How long have you had your PC and since when did it start having performance issues?
Have you monitored the temperatures under load?
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
2 years ago#10
Specs:
4GB RAM,
M5A97 LE R20 motherboard,
AMD r9 270,
FX-6300,
XFX 550watt PSU,
Windows 8.1.

My temps are actually quite low for most of the games I play, the cpu will go into 40-50 degrees while the highest the gpu will go is 60 degrees. I don't quite understand how the usage works but I've found that while the FPS is dipping that my gpu and cpu usage isn't even at 100% so is my hardware not being fully utilised or is my hardware weaker than I thought?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Enable multi thread?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived