This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CRYtek = FINISHED

#21Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 9:07:35 AM
Yup Bungie was always an Apple shop, with a token port of Marathon 2 to Windows
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#22SS4RickyPosted 7/23/2014 9:16:39 AM
I dunno, I really liked Crysis 1 and 3. Good games, real pretty. Crysis 2 suffered from the Call of Duty fame. Every game that dropped after MW2's success was a gloified CoD game. Obviously this was a bad idea, but money talks.
---
i7-3770k@3.8 | Corsair H60 | Gskill sniper 16GB 1866 | MSI gtx 560 448 | Seasonic X750 gold | GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Samsung 830 128GB | 1TB WD Black
#23Hi C(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 7:47:13 PM
youngfossil posted...
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
So who will take over as the graphic showcase developer?

id isn't the same
Crytek isn't the same
Valve doesn't make engines anymore it seems, so they arent the same.
Epic really isn't the same either...but they have the newest engine, however idk

Valve is making Source 2 yo

Valve is so slow every time they get ready to release some new tech will pop up and make them wipe the slate clean like what happened with Duke Nukem Forever.

And Valve aren't releasing anything on the code / game side ever again. They don't need to. Steam Workshop is a printing press for them. It's the same reason why DayZ and Starbound haven't dne s*** since they went on early access.
#24LOLIAmAnAltPosted 7/23/2014 10:34:56 PM
Hi C posted...
And Valve aren't releasing anything on the code / game side ever again.

To be fair though, valve has been releasing one game a year for a while now (barring this year so far)
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#25nightshadeAPosted 7/24/2014 12:56:38 AM
am i the only person that wont miss the " rent a engine" era of gaming ?
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid
#26SinisterSlayPosted 7/24/2014 6:26:49 AM
nightshadeA posted...
am i the only person that wont miss the " rent a engine" era of gaming ?

Yes, I loved the rent an engine era because if you knew the engine worked on your computer, chances are every game that used it works.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27CloudZ1116Posted 7/24/2014 10:32:06 AM
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
So who will take over as the graphic showcase developer?

id isn't the same
Crytek isn't the same
Valve doesn't make engines anymore it seems, so they arent the same.
Epic really isn't the same either...but they have the newest engine, however idk

CD Projekt RED
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#28KillerTrufflePosted 7/24/2014 10:35:52 AM
West Games
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#29BuyersRemorse55Posted 7/24/2014 10:39:47 AM
Well if making games with mega graphics just to benchmark with is not good business then maybe companies will scale back graphics and budgets a bit.
#30KillerTrufflePosted 7/24/2014 10:59:19 AM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
Well if making games with mega graphics just to benchmark with is not good business then maybe companies will scale back graphics and budgets a bit.

Except that's not even really what Crytek was doing either. There's a pretty wide consensus that a good portion of the reason they stopped doing very well is that they basically told their PC supporters - the guys that got them up and running - to go screw, and chose to cater to the console crowd. I get the impression their subsequent games were poorly received on consoles tho - Crytek wouldn't even state their sales figures for consoles on Crysis 3.

I kind of have to say serves them right, and what did they expect, with the way they treated the PC market. If they'd continued to focus on trying to build their games *for PC* instead of dumbing them down for the console market they might have done better in the long run. Hard to know tho, because a good part of the problem too was poor writing for the Crysis games and weak attempts to tie their stories together.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23