This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Corsair TX650 for 2 7970s?

#12Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/22/2014 5:31:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting another 7970 for crossfire, and I'm wondering if 650W will be enough. I always thought it was, but I'm not sure if it will be enough if I also overclock. I also have a 3570K currently running at 4GHz. Also there's no problem with using 2 molex to PCI adapters for the 2 8-pin connectors? I think my PSU only comes with 2 6+2 connectors but more molex cables than I could ever need.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#2ShubPosted 7/22/2014 5:33:02 PM(edited)
Should be fine with your CPU overclock and no overclocks on the cards.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#32Dhas_a_MIGRANE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 5:34:00 PM(edited)
Alright thanks. If I pair it with a GHz edition do I have to manually turn down the clock to match the non GHz edition one?
---
#4ShubPosted 7/22/2014 5:34:33 PM
Yeah I'm tired and lost track of the topic title and just focused on "650W" and then I re-read things and edited my post. I expect you'll be fine.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5ShubPosted 7/22/2014 5:36:03 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
If I pair it with a GHz edition do I have to manually turn down the clock to match the non GHz edition one?

I feel like AMD cards can function at different clock speeds, or perhaps it was nVidia... I don't remember, I've never used SLI or Crossfire. Anyway, assuming that's not the case, you don't need to worry about it, the faster card should just clock down automatically.
---
-What is best in life?
#62Dhas_a_MIGRANE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 5:38:31 PM
Shub posted...
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
If I pair it with a GHz edition do I have to manually turn down the clock to match the non GHz edition one?

I feel like AMD cards can function at different clock speeds, or perhaps it was nVidia... I don't remember, I've never used SLI or Crossfire. Anyway, assuming that's not the case, you don't need to worry about it, the faster card should just clock down automatically.

Ok. If it's either of them it's probably AMD since they seem to be less restrictive in general. Thanks again.
---
#7ShubPosted 7/22/2014 5:42:35 PM
I'm sure someone smarter than me has thought about this long and hard, but I really can't fathom how two cards that are supposed to render a single frame simultaneously, potentially hundreds of times per second, can do this successfully, without weird frame pacing issues or whatever, running at different clock speeds. Anyway, there's nothing to lose by trying.
---
-What is best in life?
#82Dhas_a_MIGRANE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 5:45:27 PM
Well the card runs much faster than the framerate, so maybe as long as the frame is processed before it needs to be displayed it's fine even if one card finishes its frame first.
---