This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wish devs would stop switching old titles to Steamworks.

#1PaukenPosted 7/22/2014 5:47:42 PM
Seriously, this trend is @$@$ing annoying. It's gonna kill classic PC gaming completely dead at this rate. Why, you might ask? Because every single one of these "gamespy-ridding patches" also nukes all mod compatability and often breaks multiplayer completely, with the Gamespy to Steam conversion often causing huge issues with networking that didn't exist beforehand.

This disturbing trend of patching out Gamespy from age-old releases started back with Dawn of War, where all of the DoW games had a forced update that basically broke all mods, removed the LAN button for no reason, and added Steamworks MP that barely worked and often would crash. Civ IV was next on this list, and it got hit even harder; single player didn't work either...luckily Firaxis games used the Betas tab on Steam to give pissed off users a way to go back to Gamespy/LAN MP, but the stupidity of updating decade-old titles is still there. And now all of the Total War titles that used Gamespy have been completely broken and require a #%#%ING HUGE patch (16 gigs for Medieval 2 Total War) to function again. I don't know why Sega and other devs are pushing this so hard, but it's pissing me off to no end, as it's forcing me to go through less-than-legal channels to play my favourite titles in a way that doesn't require banging my head against the keyboard in rage to work.

I'm fine with Steamworks if it's implemented properly; all games that had it from the beginning work perfectly, and apparently GFWL titles converted to Steamworks also work great (I can't say whether they do or not cause I've never owned a converted title, but from what I've heard the conversion was much less painful than Gamespy to Steamworks, with deleted saves being the only bad thing gotten from the deal). There has yet to be an older title that actually has functional Steamworks MP with no new issues added from the forced conversion though...in addition to the above titles, AoE2 HD, Age of Mythology Extended Edition, Rise of Nations EE, and probably Baldur's Gate 1&2 EE (given the track record of every other game converted from Gamespy to Steamworks post-release anyway) all have ultra buggy multiplayer and often have massive issues in single player that quite literally didn't exist in the old releases.

Honestly given this bullcrap I'm seriously reconsidering supporting any future efforts by Sega or Microsoft. One more ruined classic title from either will pretty much confirm my status as a non-buyer for either company's crap.
#2cosmic_assasinPosted 7/22/2014 11:10:25 PM
i wish Iron brigade would make it to steamworks, my favorite tower defense / mech game ever.
---
Assassssssin
#3Lemur_HPosted 7/22/2014 11:21:36 PM(edited)
I have Iron Brigade on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/115120/

Ah... You must mean its DRM...
#4GarquillPosted 7/22/2014 11:23:37 PM
you do realize gamespy is going down and most of these games would die without a patch right
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#5Bellum_SacrumPosted 7/22/2014 11:27:11 PM
I'm sure devs are religiously taking notes as they're reading you wall of text right now.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#6Pauken(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 12:53:53 AM
Garquill posted...
you do realize gamespy is going down and most of these games would die without a patch right

Direct connect/VPN setups. There, now you can play multiplayer even if Gamespy is dead.

The Steamworks updates always break those two functions, for whatever reason, which means people still on the old version are stuck with other old version users for their LAN parties as opposed to playing with Steam and non-Steam users alike.

Since the updates break single player quite often too, I honestly think dead online is preferable to having the Steam release be unplayable and forcing legitimate buyers to seek shadier means to play a stable version...
#7arleasPosted 7/23/2014 3:00:50 AM
It would be nice if there was a LAN Option on ALL multiplayer games, but of course that means that filthy Pirates could probably play it just as easily as people who bought the game, and screw those guys....right? Unfortunately any screwing of pirates inevitably screws the paying customer more than the pirate. :I

If they're really making these "fixes" so bad that you have to seek a "shady version" then something is seriously wrong with what they're doing. Maybe it's just a haphazard fix because they felt there was no time to do the job properly... it's more likely they don't really care and the "Fix" is just something to make it seem like they do.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png