This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How youtube has continuously gotten worse over the years

#1VSTopicFanaticPosted 7/22/2014 6:26:27 PM
- Changed the entire PM system to the point where it sucks. In the past, you used to be able to post titles and PM a person(similar to making a thread or posting a PM on gamefaqs). Now, they moved pm'ing to another part of your profile, cant create a pm title anymore, and you cant even space out your paragraphs if you're replying to them via PM(it comes out as one long wall of text). Basically, you can no longer compose a message like in the past.

- Unable to share videos to anyone now, because of the inbox/pm change

- You used to be able to customize your own youtube profile backgrounds. Youtube removed that feature

-Shoved Google+ down peoples throats and restricted certain youtube features to people who only have G+

- Multitudes of annoying ads(unless you're using Adblock+)

Anyone got any more?
#2LyokoNinjaPosted 7/22/2014 7:01:36 PM
You forgot forgoing the five-star rating system for a like/dislike system.
---
Wanna be the biggest dreamer!
#3cody4783Posted 7/22/2014 7:06:14 PM
LyokoNinja posted...
You forgot forgoing the five-star rating system for a like/dislike system.

I know most things are like that...but this seriously is up there on my list. Too straight Negative/Positive for me, if I don't LOVE a video, but I don't hate it, I should be good to give it 3 or 5 stars. D:<

Also I miss the "Videos Watched" counter in my profile. Dunno why that was removed either. Right about the time I started really watching a lot on YouTube, they removed it. :(
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#4Lemur_HPosted 7/22/2014 7:08:37 PM
I hate being unable to buffer an entire video and not having a setting to PERMANENTLY LOCK VIDEO RESOLUTION. F*** YOUR AUTO QUALITY. F*** YOU.
#5xMP44xPosted 7/22/2014 7:10:45 PM
Don't forget DASH playback, which means the whole video won't actually buffer. It'll only buffer so far, meaning it'll cause hell if you want to jump through the video. Honestly, I prefer Vimeo's player now but there isn't nearly as much content on there.
#6LvthnPosted 7/22/2014 7:19:25 PM
Only good thing youtube has done is starting support for higher resolution and maybe 60fps.

But they've screwed the pooch on almost everything else. I use it a lot less than I used to and some of my favorite subscriptions have dropped way off.
#7arleasPosted 7/22/2014 7:26:46 PM
As far as the 5 star rating vs thumbs up or down, I'm sure that most people didn't want to think about actual ratings so they just gave it 1 star or 5 stars anyway. People who want to think about whether that was a 5 star video or merely 4 stars... or whether it deserved 2 or 3 stars because it was mediocre or whatever, I'm sure those people were in the minority.

Speaking only for myself: I don't miss the 5 star rating system, but once in a while I want to say "I didn't hate that, but I didn't love it either" and my only choice is to not vote at all... OR I just look at whichever side was winning (likes vs dislikes) and I'd balance it out.

As for the loss of Dash playback, If they give me enough bandwidth so I never have to see it buffer, I don't usually care. I do think it's stupid that they sorta drop everything and start over if you skip back through the video (rather than leaving the buffered material intact). I notice that Netflix does this to me as well... I'll see or hear something and go "What? Lemme see/hear that again" and suddenly it's like it has to reload the whole video again :(

The worst thing about Youtube is that they'll take stuff that works, and then "fix" it, making it worse than it was before. I don't mind them fixing stuff that's actually broken but there's been way too many times where they've designed the thing from the ground up all over again when it was OK before.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#8cody4783Posted 7/22/2014 7:30:32 PM
The playback method is a hundred times more annoying when your watching a video on a mobile connection in some remote area with half-arsed 3G.

Yeah, that 5 second rewind will cost ya 30 seconds of re-buffering.

Not to mention if you pause a video to TRY and get a few seconds loaded on the YouTube app, and your screen automatically times out...The app just goes "Yeah, f*** it" and wipes everything that was buffered. Or if you get a call mid-way through watching something. Yep, start over.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#9Lemur_HPosted 7/22/2014 7:35:26 PM
I used to be able to disable DASH, but YouTube went and removed my preferred quality setting from it entirely. If I don't have it enabled, I can't pick that quality.

GRAGAWGHASGHAHGHAS
#10BlueRamzaPosted 7/22/2014 7:39:45 PM
Don't forget crashing your internet browser. The only video website left on the internet that still does that.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.