This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How youtube has continuously gotten worse over the years

#21someguyshandPosted 7/23/2014 1:41:53 AM
LyokoNinja posted...
You forgot forgoing the five-star rating system for a like/dislike system.

I don't mind this so much as the ratings not appearing for videos until you actually open that video's page.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif
#22neo6000Posted 7/23/2014 2:12:23 AM
I'm limited to 720p or 360p, due to having DASH disabled. For some reason the videos don't play correctly with DASH enabled. Always buffering or stops loading the video half way and have to reload the page etc
#23Chaos_MissilePosted 7/23/2014 2:22:26 AM(edited)
In the recent years, I've also discovered something about YouTube I'm not a big fan of: you either LET YouTube choose your video quality FOR YOU or they give you the WORST video quality available.

I've a pretty decent speed that should gurantee 480p or 720p non-stop streaming, but YouTube loves to default to I-can-not-watch-this 144p for some reason

Why isnt there a setting that lets ME choose MY playback speed?

cody4783 posted...
LyokoNinja posted...
You forgot forgoing the five-star rating system for a like/dislike system.

I know most things are like that...but this seriously is up there on my list. Too straight Negative/Positive for me, if I don't LOVE a video, but I don't hate it, I should be good to give it 3 or 5 stars. D:<

Also I miss the "Videos Watched" counter in my profile. Dunno why that was removed either. Right about the time I started really watching a lot on YouTube, they removed it. :(

After so many years on the internet, I've discovered the truth in this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale

Basically, to most internet-dwellers, a thing can have 4 ratings:-
a) "the most perfect thing in the world, even better than god itself and is also endorsed by god"
b) "Not quite there perfect, but good enough"
c) "Meh"
d) "Worst thing in the world; should not bother; the people who created this thing should die in a fire"

Alternatively, I've seen internet-dweller whos only used TWO ratings:-
To most internet-dwellers, a thing can have 4 ratings:-
a) "the most perfect thing in the world, even better than god itself and is also endorsed by god"
b) "Worst thing in the world; should not bother; the people who created this thing should die in a fire"

Since the star-rating more or less followed the later rating style(you generally either get 1 Star or 5 Stars), the Like/Dislike bar is actually MORE accurate to the reception of a video.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#24neo6000Posted 7/23/2014 2:25:52 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
In the recent years, I've also discovered something about YouTube I'm not a big fan of: you either LET YouTube choose your video quality FOR YOU or they give you the WORST video quality available.

I've a pretty decent speed that should gurantee 480p or 720p non-stop streaming, but YouTube loves to default to I-can-not-watch-this 144p for some reason

Why isnt there a setting that lets ME choose MY playback speed?

Youtube seems to be missing a lot of options. I ended up using a Grease Monkey script called youtube center for disabling DASH and has settings to set defaults such as resolution for video, player size plus a bunch of other settings.
#25NingishzidaPosted 7/23/2014 2:40:06 AM
Guess it's back to VHS for TC.
#26Born LuckyPosted 7/23/2014 3:05:53 AM
Here's all I know.

Youtube used to be a fun site to browse through, my youtube channel was a pleasant place to navigate and I went there almost every day .

Now, I don't go very much, my channel (everyone's channel) is an ugly mess, and the fun factor is non-existent.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#27ZanimarPosted 7/23/2014 3:33:25 AM
Currently their option of automatically disabling the annotations in videos seems broken and doesn't work at all. I have even deleted possible thing I could under the clear history thing and still the disable annotations option (account option, not the option on individual videos) won't work. :(
---
Steam - Renryuu
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971
#28YuniuninuniunPosted 7/23/2014 4:07:38 AM
For me they only messed up the channels and the homepage and I rarely spend much time on those.
The actual viewing area is rather nice, wish they had the old comment system but every comment is trash so I guess it doesn't matter.
---
Friendly reminder to never play a game published by PWE (Perfect World Entertainment)
#29LyokoNinjaPosted 7/27/2014 5:28:56 PM
neo6000 posted...
Youtube seems to be missing a lot of options. I ended up using a Grease Monkey script called youtube center for disabling DASH and has settings to set defaults such as resolution for video, player size plus a bunch of other settings.

I've heard Youtube Center has issues with memory leaks, and judging from the amount of memory my browser takes up after viewing a few videos and then closing the tabs, it seems true. I still use it, but after every few videos I restart Palemoon 64-bit to be safe. Just don't enable it for embedded videos.
---
Wanna be the biggest dreamer!
#30DetectiveZPosted 7/27/2014 5:37:08 PM
Other then the comments? (Seems to be getting worse every year. >_>)
I hate the fact that you have to put your name in it.
It's just really encouraging role players which is annoying. I can't even count how many Nathan Drakes, Sonic, Mario Mario, Hatsune Miku, Master Chief, etc. I've seen.
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel