This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will we ever get a Batman game with an actual story?

#1BobokinsPosted 7/22/2014 6:30:38 PM
Not just this fanservice, throw-as-many-characters-in-as-possible crap that we've been getting with the Arkham games.

I'm talking about an actual coherent story with maybe one or two villains at most, telling a deep, intricate, and personal story for each major character involved. Will something like that ever happen?
#2Freakwave003Posted 7/22/2014 6:30:59 PM
no
---
i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660w Platinum | Corsair 500r
#3Skul_Posted 7/22/2014 6:41:59 PM
Asylum really didnt throw that many villains around.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#4Orestes417Posted 7/22/2014 6:43:20 PM
I thought Asylum was a near perfect translation of the comic book style.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#5TehPwnzererPosted 7/22/2014 6:43:52 PM
Are you saying the Arkham games don't have a good story? What is there to tell? It's not like Batman is that complex of a character. We're not talking about Metal Gear Solid here.
#6LvthnPosted 7/22/2014 7:21:53 PM
The all told the story that matters. Batman punched people and did assorted other awesome Batman things.

Perhaps you are mistaking Batman for Shakespeare? Sort of a different target audience there.
#7cody4783Posted 7/22/2014 7:22:20 PM
Very well might offend someone saying this....But do many people really *expect* a deep story with *any* Superhero game? Aside from those that get crazy into backstories, lore, and so on...The actual front-end of Superhero'ing is a short-sighted process of beat up crazy guy that wants to destroy town, save town, repeat. It's an endless conflict of cliche madness that needs to be stopped, with impromptu Hero Guy to step in and do just that.

It's kinda the point of super heroes. They do their job and we don't look much past that, usually.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#8ChromaticAngelPosted 7/22/2014 7:22:20 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Are you saying the Arkham games don't have a good story? What is there to tell? It's not like Batman is that complex of a character. We're not talking about Metal Gear Solid here.

please don't confuse "complex" for "convoluted"
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book I http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_i
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/mZ36ePrC
#9bluemooglePosted 7/22/2014 7:48:12 PM
Just because Batman is a superhero doesn't mean he can't have well developed stories. The whole assumption that superheroes must have superficial stories is just that, an assumption. It's the limiting factor. Being a superhero isn't what's holding the stories back, it's reader expectations. All it would take is one game to break the mold to show the opposite is totally viable, too.

I think the Dark Knight trilogy of movies compared to the 90's Batman movies is a good example of how a superhero movie does not by necessarity be a campy/superficial movie. (Even if the Dark Knight movies had their campy moments, they were definitely a lot more "serious" than the 90's films, particularly the stuff after Burton).
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#10The cranky hermitPosted 7/22/2014 7:57:21 PM(edited)
Arkham Asylum fits everything in your post up to, not including, the word "deep." If you're looking for depth, intricacy, or personal stories, you probably shouldn't be looking at things based on periodical comics.

It isn't especially deep. But it is well paced, tightly focused, and Joker provides most of the villain action - so it's really the exact opposite of Arkham City/Origins in that regard.

I think the Dark Knight trilogy of movies compared to the 90's Batman movies is a good example of how a superhero movie does not by necessarity be a campy/superficial movie.

Those movies are just as campy as the 90's Batman. They just try really, really hard to pretend they aren't. And they're certainly not deep or intricate.

Batman: TAS is probably the best example of "tasteful" Batman I've seen, even if it is occasionally held back by necessary kid-friendliness. The Dark Knight Returns is also excellent. But I wouldn't call any of that deep or intricate either.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!