This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planet Explorers

#1ClouddxPosted 7/22/2014 6:13:06 PM
Game is on sale ATM and is in Early Access. From what I've payed so far(approx 3 hours) it's really fun and the world looks amazing. The environments are extremely immersive and there's plenty of stuff to do even tho the game is in its infancy.

Just thought I'd put in a good word for anyone that's on the edge of purchasing.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#2arleasPosted 7/22/2014 6:52:25 PM
I was on the edge of purchasing and then realized I already bought it.... so I guess I decided to install it.

The TOS makes it sound like they're ready to bail at any moment though.
This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided by PATHEA GAMES "as is" and "with all faults." PATHEA GAMES makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the safety, suitability, lack of viruses, inaccuracies, typographical errors, or other harmful components of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software, and you are solely responsible for determining whether this SOFTWARE PRODUCT is compatible with your equipment and other software installed on your equipment. You are also solely responsible for the protection of your equipment and backup of your data, and PATHEA GAMES will not be liable for any damages you may suffer in connection with using, modifying, or distributing this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Presented AS IS WITH ALL FAULTS... so a nice escape clause for when they say "I never wanted to be a programmer... I wanted to be a lumberjack!"

But anyway, installing....
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#3Clouddx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 6:54:37 PM
I guarantee you will have fun, the game is a gem. Even if they stopped working on it right now there's more than enough content to get your $15 worth.
---
#4bluemooglePosted 7/22/2014 6:59:39 PM
I've been burned by too many early access games to try another. I'm sure this is the one to break the mold, TC, but I don't feel like "risking" it. Thanks for bring awareness to it, though, I'm sure some folks will buy it and enjoy it.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#5arleasPosted 7/22/2014 8:19:04 PM
Eh... I just spent 30 minutes with it and I was less than impressed. I played the "Adventure" mode so maybe that's the only part that's flawed. You're given a choice between "Babyish boy face 1" "Babyish boy face 2" "Gruff man 1" and "Gruff man 2" for faces. All of the hairstyles look like they were taken from Smosh.com and/or One Direction/Justin Bieber. No options to change the body or anything else so far.

I Started up the game, got told "here's your quarters" and the lady promptly jumped in the ocean. "WAH? I have to sleep in the ocean?" Of course they meant the little shack next to the ocean, but it was sorta amusing. The control schemed annoyed the ever living f*** out of me though, and that's AFTER I tried to rebind things. The stuff I couldn't change is what annoyed me most.

The game does not restrict the mouse pointer to the screen but you pretty much have to drag the mouse around to turn your character. I have two monitors... so every time my mouse cursor drifted off of the monitor I was on (due to the aforementioned lame controls) I would accidentally click and the screen would minimize as the game lost focus. :(

I couldn't rebind ANYTHING related to the mouse controls. Maybe this is one of those games that's better with a controller? I'll try that later.

I decided to start all over with a new world and was told pretty much the exact same thing about the new world as the old world (but this time she didn't jump in the ocean to show me my quarters). The "settlement" was basically on a small square offshore of the mainland, so to get to do any Planet Exploring (Trademark pending) I had to jump into the ocean and swim a bit.

I was able to ask one of the NPC's to come along but all she did was just follow me... I don't know if there's any point to having an NPC help you just yet.

SO maybe I just managed to find all of the game's bad points within a 30 minute time frame...If this is where they stopped I would feel ripped off at this point, because I don't think I could put up with 15 hours of the game I've seen so far, but again, I did the Adventure mode so maybe that's the problem... maybe adventure mode is broken.
---
#6AnimorganimatePosted 7/22/2014 8:23:19 PM
arleas posted...
I was on the edge of purchasing and then realized I already bought it.... so I guess I decided to install it.

The TOS makes it sound like they're ready to bail at any moment though.
This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided by PATHEA GAMES "as is" and "with all faults." PATHEA GAMES makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the safety, suitability, lack of viruses, inaccuracies, typographical errors, or other harmful components of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software, and you are solely responsible for determining whether this SOFTWARE PRODUCT is compatible with your equipment and other software installed on your equipment. You are also solely responsible for the protection of your equipment and backup of your data, and PATHEA GAMES will not be liable for any damages you may suffer in connection with using, modifying, or distributing this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Presented AS IS WITH ALL FAULTS... so a nice escape clause for when they say "I never wanted to be a programmer... I wanted to be a lumberjack!"

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of
British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!
The Little Whopping Rule Tree!
We'd sing! Sing! Sing!
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#7Clouddx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 8:32:56 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
Eh... I just spent 30 minutes with it and I was less than impressed. I played the "Adventure" mode so maybe that's the only part that's flawed. You're given a choice between "Babyish boy face 1" "Babyish boy face 2" "Gruff man 1" and "Gruff man 2" for faces. All of the hairstyles look like they were taken from Smosh.com and/or One Direction/Justin Bieber. No options to change the body or anything else so far.

I Started up the game, got told "here's your quarters" and the lady promptly jumped in the ocean. "WAH? I have to sleep in the ocean?" Of course they meant the little shack next to the ocean, but it was sorta amusing. The control schemed annoyed the ever living f*** out of me though, and that's AFTER I tried to rebind things. The stuff I couldn't change is what annoyed me most.

The game does not restrict the mouse pointer to the screen but you pretty much have to drag the mouse around to turn your character. I have two monitors... so every time my mouse cursor drifted off of the monitor I was on (due to the aforementioned lame controls) I would accidentally click and the screen would minimize as the game lost focus. :(

I couldn't rebind ANYTHING related to the mouse controls. Maybe this is one of those games that's better with a controller? I'll try that later.

I decided to start all over with a new world and was told pretty much the exact same thing about the new world as the old world (but this time she didn't jump in the ocean to show me my quarters). The "settlement" was basically on a small square offshore of the mainland, so to get to do any Planet Exploring (Trademark pending) I had to jump into the ocean and swim a bit.

I was able to ask one of the NPC's to come along but all she did was just follow me... I don't know if there's any point to having an NPC help you just yet.

SO maybe I just managed to find all of the game's bad points within a 30 minute time frame...If this is where they stopped I would feel ripped off at this point, because I don't think I could put up with 15 hours of the game I've seen so far, but again, I did the Adventure mode so maybe that's the problem... maybe adventure mode is broken.

The adventure mode is definitely not complete, however I didn't have any problems with followers. When I picked up an extra guy he would help me fight enemies and such.

I never had the lady jump into the ocean lol... I believe the worlds are randomly generated so you don't get the same thing twice. I also have Two monitors, but never had the problem you described.

I agree that the controls need a lot of work.
---
#8arleasPosted 7/22/2014 8:43:05 PM
Clouddx posted...
The adventure mode is definitely not complete, however I didn't have any problems with followers. When I picked up an extra guy he would help me fight enemies and such.

I never had the lady jump into the ocean lol... I believe the worlds are randomly generated so you don't get the same thing twice. I also have Two monitors, but never had the problem you described.

I agree that the controls need a lot of work.

Well, no enemies showed up in my 30 minutes, until I accidentally hit something the wrong way and got flung into the ocean*... at that point two large sharkfish type things appeared and killed me and my follower again and again... Up until this point though the only animal I saw walked right past me like I wasn't even there...no fighting necessary.

I think this game would be better in first person instead of 3rd person. I'll try the other game mode after a while and see if that's any better.

*This actually happened several times. I would punch/attack an inanimate object accidentally and somehow that would fling me across the map and instakill me
---
#9Clouddx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 8:49:09 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
Well, no enemies showed up in my 30 minutes, until I accidentally hit something the wrong way and got flung into the ocean*... at that point two large sharkfish type things appeared and killed me and my follower again and again... Up until this point though the only animal I saw walked right past me like I wasn't even there...no fighting necessary.

I think this game would be better in first person instead of 3rd person. I'll try the other game mode after a while and see if that's any better.

*This actually happened several times. I would punch/attack an inanimate object accidentally and somehow that would fling me across the map and instakill me

Wow lol, this hasn't happened to me. Within minutes of starting the game I could see and kill enemies. I got a companion and he helped me kill some of the wild life before I finished the quest.

Haha, seems like you're having some bad luck.

You should try out the Story mode, it's much better.
---
#10Arucard05Posted 7/22/2014 9:35:37 PM
I was sold and unsold on this game within a few posts.

It's been a roller coaster of a topic.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
B<3R