This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a pc is alot like building a car.

#11TheMoonJumperPosted 7/22/2014 8:31:28 PM
DevilTriggerSSS posted...
Senkoy posted...
Except hardly anyone can build a car from scratch. Terrible topic TC.

Hardly anyone can build a computer from scratch. What we do is take pre-assemblied COMPONENTS and put them together with other components to make a full system. Putting together all the individual pieces and parts to make those individual components would be next to impossible for anyone but the most technically savy and only if they had highly specialized, cutting edge, expensive tools.

I guarantee you someone who knows a lot as much about cars as you might about computers, could take a pre-assemblied engine, body, transmission, suspension system, etc and put it together to make a vehicle, if they had the cash, time, and some basic mechanical tools. They'd just have to make sure everything would fit and be compatible.

Tons of people build PC's in their own homes... kids, teenagers, adults... all kinds of people.

Hardly anyone is going to build a car in their home. 99.9% of car enthusiasts buy a car, already assembled, and work off that.

This topic, while it makes some sense, fails completely.. as does your post.
---
i5 4670K - MSI Z87 G45 - MSI GTX 770 2GB - 8GB Corsair Vengeance - Intel 520 128GB Cherryville SSD - 2TB Seagate HDD - H100i - 750w 80+ Gold
#12DevilTriggerSSSPosted 7/22/2014 8:59:06 PM
TheMoonJumper posted...
Senkoy posted...

Hardly anyone can build a computer from scratch. What we do is take pre-assemblied COMPONENTS and put them together with other components to make a full system. Putting together all the individual pieces and parts to make those individual components would be next to impossible for anyone but the most technically savy and only if they had highly specialized, cutting edge, expensive tools.

I guarantee you someone who knows a lot as much about cars as you might about computers, could take a pre-assemblied engine, body, transmission, suspension system, etc and put it together to make a vehicle, if they had the cash, time, and some basic mechanical tools. They'd just have to make sure everything would fit and be compatible.

Tons of people build PC's in their own homes... kids, teenagers, adults... all kinds of people.

Hardly anyone is going to build a car in their home. 99.9% of car enthusiasts buy a car, already assembled, and work off that.

This topic, while it makes some sense, fails completely.. as does your post.

that's becuase you think of cars as something like this: http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2013-subaru-brz_100371724_m.jpg

fact is, modern cars are absolutely loaded with tons of s*** you don't need in order for a vehicle to be a "car"

a car is actually a pretty simple and ancient machine design that doesn't take much to create, all it takes is a garage, the right tools, a lift, and a guy with time who knows what he's doing. Back in the day when cars were a profitable industry, that's ALL you needed to make a street legal vehicle. That's why a lot of the guys who worked in car factories actually built their own damn vehicles, because they actually getting paid a fair wage to do it, and a lot of them knew how. But nowadays you also need a lot of money, due to the artificially inflated cost of parts.
---
One day I will own this board.
#13SenkoyPosted 7/22/2014 9:21:04 PM
Senkoy posted...

Seriously guy? Obviously I meant components. And anyone can put components for a PC together, but not a freaking car. How could you even compare? The knowledge required is far greater to put together a car. Not to mention you only need a screw driver for a PC, how many tools do you need for a car? How is this even debatable? Am I getting trolled?
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#14LvthnPosted 7/22/2014 9:30:03 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Terrible topic and a car comparison rolled into one, impressive.
#15OreoBoy206Posted 7/22/2014 9:33:31 PM
The concept is similar (As in different chassis to choose from and a variety of parts that can give you different performance output) but obviously one is a lot more complicated, time consuming and expensive to pull off.
#16Unsugarized_FooPosted 7/22/2014 9:40:59 PM
Senkoy posted...
Am I getting trolled?

No, he's actually correct.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#17WyzeGyePosted 7/22/2014 11:03:16 PM
Senkoy posted...
Senkoy posted...

Seriously guy? Obviously I meant components. And anyone can put components for a PC together, but not a freaking car. How could you even compare? The knowledge required is far greater to put together a car. Not to mention you only need a screw driver for a PC, how many tools do you need for a car? How is this even debatable? Am I getting trolled?

It's funny because if you ask a car guy to build a computer he'll say the same thing in reverse. All a car is is a steel frame, steering components, tires, engine, transmission, brakes, minimal electrical wiring and an outer shell. The rest is unnecessary fluff.

It's just components, we all built models when we were younger, the only difference is size and bolts instead of glue.

Upside of being a car person is that you have all the tools you need to build/maintain/troubleshoot a computer in your garage.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg - - http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198039262606.png
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#18SnadadosPosted 7/22/2014 11:32:10 PM
Senkoy posted...

Yeah, no.

The amount of knowledge you need to even put a kit car together dwarfs the knowledge needed to put a PC together.

Putting a PC together takes a 10-30 minute youtube video and a phillips screw driver.

Kit cars take hundreds, even thousands of man hours to assemble correctly, several diagrams and manuals, a fairly decent set of tool and a number of specialty tools.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#19DevilTriggerSSSPosted 7/23/2014 9:29:08 AM
Snadados posted...
Putting a PC together takes a 10-30 minute youtube video and a phillips screw driver.

Really? you think someone who is totally computer illiterate could just watch ONE 30 min video on youtube and instantly know how to put together an entire build, install the OS properly, and include all the necessary drivers, then set up all the required software? You obviously haven't thought this through using your actual brain.

I never said building a car is as easy as building a PC. But the name of this topic is that building a PC is "alot" like" building a car. And it is.
---
One day I will own this board.
#20stmstrPosted 7/23/2014 9:39:38 AM
But the name of this topic is that building a PC is "alot" like" building a car. And it is.

They're not "a lot like" each other. Otherwise you can say that building a PC is like building a space ship.

You just put components together, right? You can reduce it to that all you want, but in a real sense these things are all extremely different.